Need help for a big app using apollo

Hi, i ve been contacted by a company that wishes to create an app to act as a kiosk in their different branches across the country and i should use(read only) their existing SQL SERVER database.Here are the requirements and architecture plans for this app.

-Client kiosk app which will be built using cordova instead of RN for this android kiosk tablet.the app should update its redux store and log every actions the user does when using the app into a mongodb DB separated from their main SQL SERVER
-Client admin webapp that will access the Mongodb DB and let administrators track activities occuring daily in each of their branches
-The kiosk app requires the user to log in using its details and they should match thee corresponding data existing in the SQL SERVER.if found a redux action shall be dispatched and mongodb should store the details of the user connected…

So my question is …after looking around i am stil not sure if APOLLO deals with SQL SERVER too i ve only seen examples for mysql…is it the same?

Apollo (server) will work with any database that has a node.js driver. It looks like as a Node.js driver for SQL server you could use Tedious.

That said, Apollo is still in the technical preview stage, so I would only recommend it for experienced developers, or those who have time to look at the Apollo server and Apollo client source code directly to see how it works, because not everything is very well documented yet.

That is very wise…and that is what ill do …thank you.

Thank you for your answer…im not really experienced and i surely cant help much with apollo’s inner coding.So what do you advise i should do as an alternative…as i have 3 months until production starting now…their sql server doesnt have a REST enpoint for fetching data…i can only connect through the remote url with user and password…how can i make use of the datas i need without apollo?

@zjjt It seems like a big project with quite a few moving parts, so there is no one technology that can do it all.

I think a good approach is to see which parts you can build with technology that you already know well, and then for the parts that are missing look for the technologies that fit best with the rest of your stack.

3 Likes