New Meteor.com!

Always willing, but if I had the time to write one up, I’d have made one already :smiley:
I’ll create an issue and add it to my OSS wishlist/worklist

Here you go, open for anyone to claim!

3 Likes

Awesome, good to hear :+1:

A typical animation is distracting, this I would call legit disturbing! :crazy_face:

The new site is really pretty! I am missing the big selling points of meteor though, the “Why meteor” section is very generic, it doesn’t really tell me the big advantages of Meteor in a clear way. If I knew nothing about it, I would get the impression it is just another bundler.

6 Likes

Great stuff! Some TLC was overdue and this is a welcome update. The blog landing page seems unchanged - any plans to bring that into the fold?

4 Likes

This is fantastic, Filipe! Great job, and I love the idea for the “Tiny” option.

3 Likes

I use Meteor with WSL on Windows and find that the easiest and less error prone way. Only difference is that I had to install MongoDB seperately. Maybe this option can be included in the guide?

I also use WSL, but don’t do anything special about MongoDB. Which definitely points to the need for some explanation/clarification :slight_smile:

Overall really like the new design as well as the illustrations. Feels clean, modern, and concise. Two things that stand out somewhat unfavorably, though:

1.) The hero sections for the Homepage and Company are really sort of lackluster. Hosting’s hero, for example, is full-screen and animated (which I personally agree is a nice addition). The Developers hero is ok, but I’m not sure what the moving shapes in the background is supposed to communicate to me. If I had my druthers I’d say Home/Company hero sections need some design love. :slight_smile:

2.) Second is the “Built with Meteor” section. The cards themselves are pretty but overly spacious in a way that makes me think something’s missing. Personally, what I feel is missing is a little blurb on why those companies chose Meteor. Apps can be built on lots of platforms, of course, so knowing why they specifically developed atop Meteor would be great. (I know why I develop with Meteor, but I’m of course thinking of users who hear about Meteor and wonder why those companies chose to use it.)

3 Likes

Okay I’ve whipped up a very rough draft of a guide, and left it open for anyone to edit:

If anyone can help fleshing it out, add content, editing, suggestions, common issues, etc. please do!
It’s currently more of an outline than anything suitable for the guide

Especially need content for WSL, since I’ve never got it working well either

6 Likes

We have a beautiful MacOS app built with Meteor that’s getting daily sales in Apple’s Mac App Store. It’s often listed on the first page of its primary and secondary categories while browsing the store. If we wanted to, how do we get it included on the Built With Meteor section? (And also, are the links dofollow or nofollow)?

8 Likes

I would also like to see something like Firebase has on their website:

This makes the different components look really appealing IMO, like a dev candystore :slightly_smiling_face:

By the way, I know Firebase and Meteor are technically very different, but from what I experience they are actually pretty close competitors when it comes to building apps. An agency I frequently work for usually opts for Express/Next.js + Firebase to get a Meteor-like dev experience (and speed). I tried explaining how Meteor is better because it’s open source and you own the data, but I find it remains a hard sell.

10 Likes

When I run meteor I get “Unexpected mongo exit code null. Restarting”. So I installed MongoDB seperately and added a MONGO_URL pointing to this database. I’m not running Meteor from my home directory btw. Don’t know if this makes any difference.

It’s possible to optimise Meteor for landing page speed. e.g. our homepage for Littledata gets 100% on PageSpeed Insights !

And here’s how we optimized for page load speed

6 Likes

Nice! That’s proof a Meteor page can score almost perfect. Kudos. Thanks for posting that.

Just a couple FYI’s

• littledata.io still scores a C on Pingdom’s site analyzer with several F and E penalties. Check those out as you may be able to improve.
  • I was curious if your blog was Meteor. It looks like WordPress actually. It’s scoring a 29 out of 100 on PageSpeed Insights and a C also on Pingdom. Have you done much work with trying to optimize WordPress? Seems like WordPress sites never score well on site analyzers.

I ask all this because we’re wanting to overhaul our landing page and blog. Was leaning towards a static site generator for landing pages (for pure speed) but after seeing your fantastic Meteor landing page score we’ll reconsider Meteor.

2 Likes

I just checked, and my Meteor/no SSR home page currently scores 96 mobile/99 desktop on PageSpeed Insights.

2 Likes

Yes, that definitely makes a difference. If you’re using folders off /mnt, you’re basically running MongoDB in a mapped drive, which it’s not historically been happy with.

1 Like

Great job. Good new site.

I also think all the good part of meteor have to be even more emphasized. It’s so great to use it, let’s not be shy about it :slight_smile:

Also but that’s part of another thread too, imo the react-native integration needs clearly tutorial and guide to be able to convert more people faster. Mobile development is so important nowadays and right now it’s hard to see from the site how Meteor is such a great alternative for this as well.

Great site!
:partying_face:

1 Like

FYI: https://www.meteor.com/developers, which is linked to from the Guide and API docs, looks a bit broken at the moment.

Rest of the site looks great!

1 Like