New meteor installer for linux/mac/windows

New meteor installer
Hello, everyone!! We are changing the Meteor install method to use NPM. We started with Windows, and we now have a new beta supporting Linux and Mac.
If you can give it a shot, please do and report any issues you find to us!
How to:

• If you have Meteor currently installed and you are on linux/mac: move ~/.meteor to ~/.meteor-backup and remove the launcher script with “rm `which meteor`”
  • If you have Meteor on Windows with the npm “meteor” package: uninstall and remove remove the global “meteor” package by running “meteor-installer uninstall” and npm uninstall -g meteor
  • Run “npm install -g meteor@2.3.6-beta1” . If your current setup needs sudo to use npm install -g, run with “sudo npm install -g meteor@2.3.6-beta1 --unsafe-perm” (I don’t recommend doing this, you can change your npm modules permissions to your current user)
18 Likes

This is awesome!! :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

Avoiding the markdown formatting error the command to remove the launcher script is

rm `which meteor`

We are going to update all the docs and announce it early next week.

If you have any feedback please comment here ASAP NPM installer should also work with linux/mac by renanccastro · Pull Request #11590 · meteor/meteor · GitHub</t

Will we be able to install older versions?

1 Like

Hi @rechdan, as with the current installer, we will always install the latest meteor tool, but you can use an older version any time. It can be done by changing the release file of your project or creating a project with the version you want.

Example:

meteor create test-webapp --release 2.1

or, inside a project:

meteor update --release 1.11

In this way, you will always be able to use older versions.

2 Likes

Get error for my Mac M1

➜  ~ npm install -g meteor

npm ERR! code 1
npm ERR! path /opt/homebrew/lib/node_modules/meteor
npm ERR! command failed
npm ERR! command sh -c node cli.js install
npm ERR! The current architecture is not supported: arm64

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /Users/theara/.npm/_logs/2021-09-01T02_53_50_435Z-debug.log

Or don’t support Mac M1

1 Like

Yes, Node.js 14 doesn’t support M1 yet and this is why we don’t support it yet as well.

But you can run it fine with Rosetta enabled in your Terminal.

thanks for your reply.
I try to use Rosetta Terminal it work fine :sunny:

3 Likes

Hi,

I tried using this in my docker container which is running a base node 14 image on ubuntu.

Error: Command failed: chown -R "/home/.meteor"

I get the install failing with this message.

FROM node:14

USER root

RUN apt-get update -y && apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends curl dirmngr apt-transport-https lsb-release ca-certificates apt-utils libpangocairo-1.0-0 libx11-xcb1 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxi6 libxtst6 libnss3 libcups2 libxss1 libxrandr2 libgconf2-4 libasound2 libatk1.0-0 libgtk-3-0
RUN apt-get upgrade -y

RUN apt-get install -y build-essential

RUN npm install -g meteor@latest --unsafe

CMD ["/bin/bash"]

This is my dockerfile.
any advice on how to get this to work?

Hi!
The best way to use the npm installer is to set a new user and use it instead of the root user.
Something like this, at the end of your dockerfile should work!

RUN useradd -ms /bin/bash newuser
RUN chown -R newuser /usr/local/lib/node_modules
RUN chown -R newuser /usr/local/bin
USER newuser
WORKDIR /home/newuser

RUN npm install -g meteor@latest

1 Like