Node Inspector and Meteor 1.3.4.X

Friends,

Can some helpful soul share the magic recipe for modern Meteor (1.3.4.X) and node-inspector for server side debugging on Windows 7 x64?

Currently I’m using Node Inspector 0.12.8:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>node-inspector --version
Node Inspector v0.12.8

C:\Windows\System32>

Until now I’ve been pretty successful and holding it together with duct tape and bailing wire, but now I have the following symptoms:

Your Node version (v0.10.45) has a partial support of profiler.
The stack frames tree doesn't show all stack frames due to low sampling rate.
The profiling data is incomplete and may show misleading results.
Update Node to v0.11.13 or newer to get full support.
Error: Cannot find module 'C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\node-inspector\node_modules\v8-debug\build\debug\v0.7.7\node-v11-win32-ia32\debug.node'

Please note the last line of output “Cannot find module…” Before, this was a false negative, and I was able to use it successfully in spite of this message. I’ve seen other people report this same message, but I have not found the “best practices” work-around to resolve the problem.

With my current configuration, my symptoms are as follows:

1. Node inspector starts properly side-by-side with Meteor.
  2. I’m able to connect to Node and browse around in server-side source code.
  3. Meteor application seems unstable
  4. The system never breaks at any breakpoint even with the debugger instruction

Regarding (3) any calls to server-side code via Meteor methods seem to cause the system to go into “never never” land (i.e., I don’t see any evidence that the functions are being called). If I close Node Inspector browser, suddenly the system “frees up” and begins working.

I told my wife that I’ve been tearing my hair out, and she said “Dave, just post on the Meteor forum, don’t drive yourself crazy. Remember last time?”

So I’m posting. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Best regards,
Dave

1 Like

I know you Windows users have recently been through upgrade hell, but I will note that one of the pleasures of the Meteor 1.4 branch is that Node 4.4.x works much better with node inspector. I experienced your symptoms before, but not since I started running 1.4 a few weeks ago. Also, the node inspector bundled with Meteor 1.4 (used for ‘meteor debug’ command) is currently the one you’re using, 0.12.8.

So, you might try the 1.4-beta.1 release (meteor update --release 1.4-beta.1).

All right thank you @rlivingston this is great news. I’m going to try Meteor 1.4 beta 1 right away. Thanks so much for answering so quickly. I’ll try it and post what I find.

Same problems here on debian. Fixed by upgrading to the beta:

On debian (stretch) I had the same problems debugging server side Meteor 1.3.4.x as Sotarules except number 3:

1. Node inspector starts properly side-by-side with Meteor.
  1. I’m able to connect to Node and browse around in server-side source code
  2. Meteor application seems unstable
  3. The system never breaks at any breakpoint even with the debugger instruction

I had installed Meteor as per www.meteor.com/install (not using debian packages for any of the components)

Upgrading to 1.4-beta.1 release (meteor update --release 1.4-beta.1) as suggested by rlivingston fixed the problems and I can now debug server side, although I noticed the port number changed to 5959.

I had to install (apt-get) gyp and g++ prior to upgrading.