NodeJS LTS support

I love Meteor. But at the same time I work a lot with other tools requiring at least NodeJS 4.x.
I was wondering if anyone has an idea on the future of Meteor. Are we going to support LTS versions of NodeJS or we will fork NodeJS 0.10.xx ?
Thank you for response.

7 Likes

Am very interested in knowing the long term support goals for Meteor. Not only regarding Node.js but in general.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

Now that Mongodb 3.2 is available with a drastically improved featureset and its only supported driver version also requiring node v4, I think this has become more important than it has ever been.

@sashko sorry to ping you from all over the place but you seem to be voluntarily in the loop with this

1 Like

Right now I can only provide information, I don’t have the time to actively work on this upgrade.

Fair enough. Any ETA?

Not at the moment, but people are aware of this stuff.

I know that you are busy with many big responsibilities and issues to deal with, and I appreciate all the great work that you do, but a much better response to the main question of this thread would be “we have assigned some people to work on the upgrade”, (and of course actually do assign people too).

As Node.js is the core and major component of the Meteor platform, this upgrade would assumedly be of great importance.

Please make upgrading to the latest LTS version a high priority, as I feel that it’s way overdue. The current LTS (“Long Term Support”) version won’t require a big upgrade again until around October 2016, as the only updates would be bug fixes, security patches and other minor changes. So this would fit very well with Meteor.

Here is a summary of LTS from What You Should Know about Node.js v5 and More:
What Is Long Term Support and Why Does It Matter to Me?
First and foremost, if you haven’t read the Essential Steps: Long Term Support (LTS) for Node.js by Rod Vagg, Technical Steering Committee Chairperson at the Node.js Foundation and the Chief Node Officer at NodeSource, do so. It’s a very helpful source for understanding our release cycle process. If you only have two minutes now, here is a quick summary:

• The point of establishing an LTS plan for Node.js is to build on top of an existing stable release cycle by delivering new versions on a predictable schedule that have a clearly defined extended support lifecycle. It is an essential requirement for enterprise application development and operations teams. It also affects companies that provide professional support for Node.js.

• As stated above, the first LTS release line is v4 “Argon," beginning at v4.2.0 and currently standing at v4.2.1. The next LTS release line will begin in 12 months around the first week of October 2016. All LTS release lines will begin at the same time each year.

• All LTS release lines are assigned a “codename” drawn from the names of the elements on the Periodic Table. The LTS release line will be actively maintained for a period of 18 months from the date the LTS release line begins. After 18 months have passed, it will transition into Maintenance mode.

• There will be no more than two active LTS release lines at any given time. Overlap is intended to help ease migration planning.

• Once a Stable release line becomes LTS, no new features or breaking changes will be added to that release. Changes are limited to bug fixes for stability, security updates, possible npm updates, documentation updates and certain performance improvements that can be demonstrated to not break existing applications.

1 Like