Pattern for incorporating modals – examples for Semantic UI, Bootstrap, and Foundation

Over the last couple of months, I’ve been trying to optimize the use of modals in my project. The project uses Semantic UI, which has a nice set of components implemented with jQuery.

I’ve created this hackpad with the full pattern:

A pattern for incorporating modals

And here are some demos:

Blaze modals: Semantic UI
Blaze modals: Bootstrap
Blaze modals: Foundation

It would be great to get comments from people using other UI libraries. Can the pattern be applied to these libraries directly?

(This post was originally posed as a question, but since the answer is pretty clear, I’ve changed it to an announcement.)

Here’s a meteorpad that I created using Foundation and your pattern: Need to select sign in twice the first time.

[MeteorPad - Modal test][1]
[1]: http://meteorpad.com/pad/3x4hpLTYqCkzggsGd/Modal

A couple of glitches…

1. Not sure why you have to select sign in twice
  2. No idea where the iron router content is coming from.

Cool – I’m checking it out now. The IronRouter stuff is there because no routes have been configured.

If you check out my hackpad again, I did a tiny edit some time ago – instead of parent_view = template.view.parentView it is now parent_view = template.parent().view.

This is a straight bug-fix, but it relies on the aldeed:template-extension package for the parent() function, which finds the proper parent template’s view.

Try to edit your pad (or make it publicly editable) and let me know :sunny:

Also, you have to destroy the Blaze View in the onHidden hook for the modal – I’m sure Foundation has something similar to Semantic’s – or there will be more and more hidden modals in the view hierarchy, leaking DOM nodes.

Thanks for taking the time to try this method out, btw.

Thanks Deb - I’ll take a look a bit later and update. I’m not seeing a way to make the meteorpad publicly editable, but it looks as if you can fork it.

I forked your pad, but ended up doing it from scratch, since it’s actually really simple with Foundation – this is all you need for the basic pattern:

Blaze modals: Foundation

I did some memory profiling, and there are no leaked nodes. Notice that I’m faking a Meteor.call with a setTimeout, btw.

Turned out Bootstrap was really easy, too:

Blaze modals: Bootstrap

Nice. I’ve switched to using materialize - I’ll give your approach a try. I ended up using anti:modals which worked well.

Is there any way of passing parameters to the modal from the template?

In a “traditional” way, you could add for example some attributes to the a/button/input element that’s triggering it, but with this way any parameters you add to the {{#appModalOpen}} go to the appModalOpen template instead of the final template, so inside the modal you don’t what triggered it…

The data context of the modal is given as the second argument to Blaze.renderWithData.