Phusion Passenger and METEOR_SETTINGS

Damnit, forgot about that. I also run other node apps via passenger on my Mac, and they work fine with 0.12 node. I will use the node binary from meteor and see what happens. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 Like

That can be used as a per-server-block configuration so you can use it only for your meteor appā€™s configurations and passenger will use the default 0.12 for all your other node apps.

Using the node binary from Meteor with passenger_nodejs worked. Thank you for pointing that out

1 Like

Anyone tried supplying a path & filename for METEOR_SETTINGS in the passenger_env_var? I never thought about actually pasting JSON into the .confs, lol.

1 Like

Thereā€™s now native support for Meteor Settings file in Passenger

https://www.phusionpassenger.com/library/config/nginx/reference/#passenger_meteor_app_settings-filename

1 Like

afaik that has always been the case, but it is only supported for unbundled meteor apps. once youā€™ve run meteor build and deploy using that, you still need to use the environment variable

hi
I am running meteor passenger in bundled mode on ubuntu 16.04.
Everything works great but when I add passenger_env_var METEOR_SETTINGS as shown below my app crashes

server {
        listen 443;
        server_name xxx.de
        passenger_env_var MONGO_URL mongodb://localhost:27017/db;
        passenger_env_var METEOR_SETTINGS '{"private": {"MAIL_URL": "smtp://finn@MAILSETTINGS"}}'

}

with the following error @ systemctl status nginx.service

Jan 11 15:55:24 systemd[1]: Starting A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server...
Jan 11 15:55:24 nginx[2229]: nginx: [emerg] invalid number of arguments in "passenger_env_var" directive in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/site.conf:33
Jan 11 15:55:24 nginx[2229]: nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
Jan 11 15:55:24 systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Jan 11 15:55:24 systemd[1]: Failed to start A high performance web server and a reverse proxy server.
Jan 11 15:55:24 systemd[1]: nginx.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 11 15:55:24 systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

anyone know why?

put a semicolon ; at the and of the settings line

2 Likes

now it works.
magic. :wink:

1 Like