[Poll] Meteor Prototyping Edition

W[quote=“jaredmartin, post:38, topic:15288, full:true”]
Is Blaze really dead? I hope not. I must have been out of the loop. I made two projects with React after a lot of time spent figuring it out. And it seems that React just takes much more time to write and the results are almost the same. I’m going back to Blaze for future projects.
[/quote]

And the first indications of the React hype bubble beginning to pop. :smile:

For what it’s worth, there’s quite a large group of folks whose business and staffing models rely on the templating layer for designers, junior devs, and others to interface with. So, the Spacebars API will probably stick around via Sideburns, Blaze 2, etc.

It might very well migrate to React underneath; but the Spacebars API will stick around, since HTML is part of the W3C standards.

Maybe MDG will migrate away from Blaze; but even if they do the same as they did with D3, the worse that will happen is it will go to the community for support, and someone will create a custom distro to add it back in.

1 Like

I’d like to chime in and say I’m also not happy with React currently… I really miss how simple building Blaze templates was - converted components have become fairly verbose.

Haven’t had to use the debugging tools yet either & I agree with:

it seems that React just takes much more time to write

Also not a fan of being unable to use jquery to easily manipulate DOM & SSR just blew up the server when I tried it (CPU usage, most likely a lack of configuration on my part however).

Not to mention the browserify overhead which caused 25 min+ build times

The only reason I’m still using it is because I wanted to use material-ui but considering reverting back to Blaze though, now that Materialize has a component I want to use…

3 Likes

… converted components have become fairly verbose.

It sounds like you may need to break up the components into smaller chunks. I’ve found this article really helpful:

https://facebook.github.io/react/docs/thinking-in-react.html

Typically if a component gets more than 50 lines long I get a twitching feeling in my eye :laughing:

SSR is def. a hassle… I personally don’t bother with it. Services like https://prerender.io will allow you to get SEO without any of that hassle. And you’ll save a bundle of CPU cycles! They only charge per cached page so free or $15 a mo. fixes it.

1 Like

I will have something on this soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes