Public release candidate of Meteor 1.2

Will there eventually be an official Sass/SCSS package? Not that I mind using fourseven:scss, but I figure there’s an official LESS package, so maybe one for SCSS is in the works?

1 Like

That’s actually how the whole project started - Slava and I made a really big stink about how it’s impossible to import LESS files form packages.

As for SASS/SCSS, I think having a community package is fine. At this point I think we have all of the tools and hook that package needs to provide a top-notch experience. IMO, it would be better if the LESS package was a community thing because we don’t do much about maintaining or updating it.

3 Likes

What have changed from “getting started with React in Meteor” guide with 1.2 rc7?
It seems now I can drop “meteorhacks:npm” but still need “cosmos:browserify”…

Anything else we should be aware of?

The reload is much faster now, thanks!

Can we get a word on official support for WKWebView with the latest Cordova? From an old issue I can’t find right now, it has to do with Meteor running local files over http instead of localhost as it is now (or it’s the other way around?)

Nothing has changed with React in Meteor. It works exactly the same way as in the preview.

1 Like

Congratulations to the team! You guys are building something groundbreaking!

1 Like

There is no official support for WKWebView in the latest Cordova, this is not a Meteor-specific issue. Work on Cordova iOS 4.0 is ongoing, which should enable support for pluggable web views and open up the ability to use a WKWebView engine.

There is an unofficial plugin that some people seem to have had success using, but it really is a bit of a hack (as also admitted by the authors), and I wouldn’t feel comfortable recommending it for production apps.

Having said that, I do recognize the importance of this, and I plan on exploring our options for supporting WKWebView after the Meteor 1.2 release, without waiting for official Cordova support to land if necessary.

Some of this may tie in with improvements to Hot Code Push I hope to make. WKWebView before iOS 9 has some serious limitations, one of which is the inability to load content from file:// URLs. Even though Meteor doesn’t use file:// URLs, our alternative implementation uses NSURLProtocol, which is also not supported. The only solution seems to be to include a full local web server, so we may have to switch to that.

4 Likes

Great to hear that need for improving performance is a recognized priority for mobile. I understand current solution for wkwebview is a hack, but most report success and seem to work well. Also good news to me that iOS 9 has better protocol support for it, that will probably be the way to go for proper support. Though using local web server to serve mobile assets doesn’t sound like a bad hack to me? There’s a certain beautiful consistency with having everything available over http.

I don’t think using a local web server is a hack, that is not the part that worries me about the unofficial WKWebView plugin (in fact, Meteor currently does something similar with its custom NSURLProtocol implementation). The problem is that Cordova iOS before 4.0 has no extension points for switching to a different web view, so the plugin has to resort to hacks like method swizzling and embedding a WKWebView inside a UIWebView.

1 Like

Will there be a ES2015 best practise / recommendation guide for Meteor?

Really interested in how people plan to use the new features to improve their meteor codebase(s) :smile:

2 Likes

@sashko: I don’t agree with your statement that having a community-based SASS solution is enough. I’m having quite some issues with fourseven:scss, especially when you have a lot of interdependencies and are using packages heavily, as I do. A deeper integration would help a lot here.

1 Like

@martijnwalraven: Good to hear that you’re working on hot code reload. I’m having some trouble with that on iOS (broken apps), while Android runs just fine.

Same here. Please tell me there’s a better way to do this then going through and singularly removing every single package in my program and then re-adding it!!

I guess the question is, which part of it would be better if it was a core thing? Is it just the fact that not everyone has agreed on using one SCSS package?

I would be great if you upgraded coffeescript to the latest version before the next release!

1 Like

@sashko: As far as I understand your upgrade guide, the cross-package includes are only available for LESS and Stylus. And exactly such a functionality I’m missing in SASS… So I can only hope that fourseven:scss will be able to copy-paste this functionality to SASS as well.

Yup! The goal of this release is to enable the APIs that will let all of the packages do the same. So hopefully SASS can just copy-paste our logic for Stylus and LESS.

hey, after i upgraded to 1.2 i have noticed that sometimes hot-reload isn’t triggered, i had to recompile meteor. I am using both blaze and react and sass.

While building the application:
   client/view/******/series/SeriesPage.jsx:9:60: SeriesPage.jsx: Unexpected
   token (9:60)

=> Your application has errors. Waiting for file change.
^C
DUUUUUUUUDEEEEEEEEEEEs-MacBook-Pro:vi-react sikanx$ meteor
[[[[[ ~/vi-react ]]]]]                      

=> Started proxy.                             
=> Started MongoDB.                           
=> Started your app.                          

=> App running at: http://localhost:3000/
1 Like

I’ve seen that as well, it seems to get into a state where it doesn’t see file changes and never rebuilds.

Would you be able to provide a repository that replicates it? I would like to see why this issue is happening.