Question about Boilerplates

What are your thoughts on using a pre-built starting boilerplate like The Meteor Chef Base or Iron Scaffolding?

I find it much easier to add stuff to an empty project than hunt down the things I have to remove from a boilerplate.

It’s one of the reasons I like meteor create so much. I just have to delete 3 files and I have a blank canvas. All configuration crap is tucked away in the .meteor folder and I rarely, if ever, need to deal it.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t like the React and Angular 2 ecosystems. A project has a dozen config files and you need to deal with them on a constant basis.

5 Likes

As there is no real specification for anything in meteor world, you tend to have a whole lot of luck if you find sth. which perfectly fits your needs/style and isn’t outdated by now.

That said, with Mantra out of the oven, there’s a a good chance that someone builds a generator for this specification.

Opinion:
Boilerplates in general aren’t that useful in most cases.

[quote=“manuel, post:2, topic:16693”]
I find it much easier to add stuff to an empty project than hunt down the things I have to remove from a boilerplate.
[/quote]… in most cases having a good generator is more than enough.
There are other freamworks(e.g. http://book.cakephp.org/3.0/en/bake/usage.html) with built in generators which do a great job, so i’m curious to see how this mantra stuff unfolds.

When Meteor 1.3 ships, we’ll have guidance about application structure using modules in the Meteor Guide, and the example apps will be updated to follow. Perhaps someone can create a generator for that as well.