Question for Meteor Developers

Hey all,

Hope your New Year is off to a good start!

If Meteor can add any feature in 2022, what would it be?

Let us know below! :point_down:

3 Likes

Hi, Happy new year to you as well.

Here are some ideas, probably more to come in the future :slight_smile: :

• Multi-core management to spread the load automatically on an instance with multiple CPUs. => would save so much with such a feature.
  • SSR (it’s doable but can be a struggle) A least official boilerplate / doc for SSR Meteor/React - Meteor/React/Apollo.
5 Likes

Complete support for Vue 3 (and ensure Vue 2 compatibility)

6 Likes

Add minimongo indexing support

1 Like

For me too, ensuring that Vue 3 works well with Meteor is probably the most important element I’d like to see in Meteor.

In general, I intentionally stay very close to the out-of-the-box setup of Meteor (regular methods and pub/sub, accounts etc). If I need third party packages, I pick something from the wide node ecosystem and only such packages that are well maintained. This has served me very well. So in general I’d like to see Meteor development focus on the things that make Meteor stand out and are not easily reproduced with other tools (again, regular methods and pub/sub, the accounts system, perhaps the build system). In line with that, and given that development resources are limited, I would not add any functionality to Meteor core that is already well covered with npm packages (such as the recent call to add a job scheduler to the core).

Oh, and of course the Fibers/async situation needs work in 2022. But I am assuming that this process is already going forward.

7 Likes

Only one you say… Well, getting rid of Fibers, of course (Change how Meteor executes Async code · Discussion #11505 · meteor/meteor · GitHub). I hope it’ll get solved somehow this year, so all of the projects will have at least a couple of months to catch up with that (remember: support for Node 14 ends in April 2023). One of the first steps would be to get Mongo Package Async API by filipenevola · Pull Request #11605 · meteor/meteor · GitHub done.

11 Likes

I second what @radekmie. Continuing the trend of further alignments with NodeJS by having alternatives to Fibers.

I’m also interested in using Meteor as a backend ass JAMStack/PWA with DDP/SDK. I think this is an excellent combo and value proposition for Meteor that is not getting much attention.

Micro Frontends support (https://micro-frontends.org/).
Case:
I have 3 “sister” platforms using the same user login.
I want to have the same Posts Wall and Chat app over all 3 platforms.
Post Wall - 1 Meteor Project (its own scalability env)
Chat App - 1 Meteor Project (its own scalability env)
3 Parent Meteor Projects (their own scalability env)

I wan to have seamless secure SSO from parent to child and build the Parent client bundle as a Micro Frontend.

This would open the door to easy team separation by interest and make it more possible to work with outsourcing for pluggable front end parts of a larger platform.

Fixes deploy speed issues reported by some by deploying smaller bundles.
Tests run fast as only smaller junks of a project get tested by a specific team.
I can hire Blaze teams, Vue, React etc … at the same time.
Have APIs open to child bundles only where needed and not to the entiere project.
Endless back-end scalability.
Separate Oplogs for different parts of the frontend in the case of chats, trading, crypto, gaming, even separate redis-oplogs where necessary.

2 Likes

No more meteor add and Atmosphere. Just one way of package management. All packages are being added or removed by NPM for instance.

1 Like

I’m not sure about that one. Atmosphere packages support full-stack packages and allow package-based architectures.

It is a major advantage to the framework, not sure why it needs to ve removed, you can use NPM only if that is what you prefer.

2 Likes

mongodb Change Stream supports

Easy integration of 2FA that works via an authenticator app. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

fyi there’s a whole section out there on Meteor’s github where people upvote the features they would like to see.

That makes this thread imho rather unnecessary and mostly a repetition of what’s already there communicated to Tiny

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @satya. I can see why you might see it as repetitive but I wanted to get a general consensus and spark some conversation on what fellow Meteor developers wanted to add to Meteor, IF we can add ANY feature in 2022. :wink:

1 Like

Multi-region support in Galaxy

2 Likes

Yes I agree with others - fibers and Node 16 support. Anything that improves scalability and performance is also very welcome. For example this PR seemed interesting Batching Oplog Entries & DDP messages by KoenLav · Pull Request #10478 · meteor/meteor · GitHub but it couldn’t be merged for some reason…

1 Like

I think meteor is a pretty low-level framework and It really needs to grow and become a CMS, comparing it to Strapi or Directus, Meteor has a long way.

That’s my personal opinion after using the framework for 3 years, I feel it really sets you back when you have to write everything from scratch.

The framework has improved but it hasn’t dramatically changed since 2012, it’s still pretty low level.

Why not have a built-in admin UI where you can create data models, security, and create a built-in event/hook system where developers can write business logic.

I mean it doesn’t even have an ORM or uses mongoose, if I want to add GraphQL it would take me days to write queries and mutations.

A headless CMS like Strapi gives you a head start with all of that baked in and configured.

A lot of the packages that are used today are either abandoned or not very well maintained.

• Node 16 and MongoDB 5
  • ESM direct dependencies support
  • async collection API
  • no more fibers or replace with something else if necessary (workers?)
  • Meteor API for MongoDB transactions
  • Official support for code coverage in meteor test
2 Likes

Sacha Greif (the guy behind “state of js/css”) indeed created a kind of CMS based on meteor, which was Vulcan.js. Its no longer based on meteor though, but on nextjs instead. http://vulcanjs.org/