RangeError stack size @ Render: if include with props ( React )

Previously wrote about issue i was having checking and setting State without a full page reload:
https://github.com/kadirahq/flow-router/issues/372 & https://forums.meteor.com/t/flowrouter-go-how-getinitialstate/12427

Did not get so much help understanding that so did just grind it out until i found something working and that was putting this in my render function

render: function () {

// check if userId is present in upvoters array.
    if (_.include(this.props.video.upvoters, this.props.userId)) {
    this.setState({like:true});
    } else {
    this.setState({like:false});
  }

Function wise this is doing what i want but it’s producing: Uncaught RangeError: Maximum call stack size exceeded

Removing the code above will eliminate the error so i guess i’m still doing it wrong but it’s the only way i manage to get the function / result i want. A little confusing is also the reference: at React.createClass.getMeteorData (like.jsx:14)

11 mixins: [ReactMeteorData],
12  getMeteorData() {
13   return {
14      currentUser: Meteor.user(),   
16   };    
17 },

All help / input is very much appreciated.

Adding setState in the render function can cause a re-render and an infinite loop! Not a good idea to put the setState here. The shouldComponentUpdate can be used to prevent the re-render if the state has not changed.

One would like to ask, if “like” should even be in the state? You can set a variable in the render function and use that to render the component as needed.

Thanks for the input.
Do you have any references or examples that you can show or link?

Got back to this issue today, a few day’s +wiser in this stack. I did feel that i wanted to use React functions where it’s possible.

shouldComponentUpdate
This function will trigger a loop because it will update on: new props or state are being received so changing a state will simply trigger it to run again and set a new state and so on… creating a loop

componentWillReceiveProps
Using componentWillReceiveProps i could get the correct lifecycle.

This is my current code

getInitialState: function () {
      return {like: true}
    } else {
      return {like: false};
    }
  },

componentWillReceiveProps:function () {
       this.setState({like:true});
     } else {
       this.setState({like:false});
     }
   },

Am sure there is room for improvement but at this point am getting what i want.