React, Angular, Blaze 2 < MDG in-house SQL support

My 2 cents:

The decision between Angular 2 or React is, in my experience, trivial compared to Mongo or PostgreSQL. One can adopted to either a React or Angular philosophy in a weekend. Mongo is solving a different problem than a relational database like Postgres; one can’t merely shift a problem fit to be solved by one model into the other. Many businesses pull Meteor as an option when a relational database is something “community supported.”

I can appreciate that a relational database isn’t as Javascript developer friendly as Mongo. SQL on the same level as Mongo (no joins) is not hard to learn and learning SQL apart from whatever language was connecting to it is fairly standard. We don’t expect people to shy away from learning basic shell commands. SQL is similar to this.

Mongo is solving a different problem than a relational database like Postgres; one can’t merely shift a problem fit to be solved by one model into the other.

And contrary to that…

SQL on the same level as Mongo (no joins) is not hard to learn and learning SQL apart from whatever language was connecting to it is fairly standard. We don’t expect people to shy away from learning basic shell commands. SQL is similar to this.

…the world generates plenty of developers who try to solve every problem in SQL or hack relations into NoSQL databases and claim their problems are a better fit for SQL even if they’re not. So they come to Meteor and start shouting “dude, where’s my SQL” just because they feel more familiar with it.

SQL on the same level as Mongo (no joins)

NoSQL is not just SQL without joins. Sadly that’s what plenty of developers forget about.

MDG in-house SQL support

But they’re working on it already:

If I wanted the Meteor-SQL project to get realized as fast as it can, I’d do everything to provide the feedback for the guys.

It would be great to have relational db’s support as Mongo is not used as it is supposed to be used in many Meteor apps, but this is the only option.

When and if MDG will add additional DB’s, they will need to use or create an ORM for supported databases. Currently, they have no resources and time for this so don’t expect additional db’s till mid 2016 or even 2017.

This is a sad, but a true story. If you wan’t sql - use something else or use Mongo like it is a relational db (like many of us do).

1 Like