React is going MIT

5 Likes

Wow. Didnā€™t they say just a couple of days ago that theyā€™ll keep the patent stuff in? Obviously, the outrage was bigger than Facebook could handle. Very good news, indeed. Thanks for sharing.

One step forward, two steps back.

Why is it two steps back?

Thereā€™s no patent grant.

1 Like

And does other MIT libraries issue patent grants? And is there even a react patent?

1 Like

shout out to all the guys who avoided react for no reason lol

Wow! Thatā€™s a great news :smile:

Shout out to everyone who avoided React, without whom React would never have an MIT license.

13 Likes

Hereā€™s my article answering your questions. Sort of. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have actual evidence, or is it just your feeling?

Thanks for sharing @LawJolla, great articles by the way!

I read the article several times but honestly I still struggle to understand how React now is any different than other MIT licensed OSS software?

And frankly I really donā€™t understand how GraphQL or React can even be patented, the first is specs which is to be adopted by the industry, and the later is an implementation of a very well know and old concepts in web development, but Iā€™m not a lawyer, so Iā€™ll get back to my code :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why the FUD and negative speculations now. React has greatly benefited the community, it has a very vibrant ecosystem and itā€™s bigger than FB. Many people contributed toward enriching that ecosystem, and itā€™s a loss for the community if the adoption declines for non-technical reasons.

1 Like

This guy is a lawyer

Yeah but I think itā€™s written by @LawJolla, no?

Um, yep! :blush: Looks like it is!

2 Likes

I donā€™t get it, now it becomes MIT and this is still bad because there is no patent grant?

What does that imply to me? There is so much MIT licensed libraries and software out there, why should MIT license be such a problem with react then?

Can somebody explain that to a non-native speaker?

2 Likes

@lawjolla: Thanks for your great articles, they were quite funny and very informative.

2 Likes

Good question. I edited the article to hopefully clear that up. The answer is itā€™s not. Youā€™re right. Itā€™s more a practical issue.

Take MDG and MIT licensed Apollo-Client. First, we can quickly look over MDGā€™s patent portfolio to see that they didnā€™t patent Apollo. You cannot do the same with Facebookā€™s sea of complex patents. Moreover, MDG didnā€™t grant a patent license suggesting patents exist. Facebook did.

I went over two of GraphQLā€™s patents here. You can look them over for a feeling of how and what happens.

Hopefully this helped!

Tagged you into this one because I think my comments above should help answer your questions.

Itā€™s me. Iā€™m a huge Meteor and Apollo fan, so Iā€™m on here too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes