React Native + Meteor Resources

Started an “awesome” list of resources of how to use Meteor and React Native together.

github.com/meteor-factory/awesome-react-native-meteor

5 Likes

I’ve started to port my Android/iOS native ports from Cordova to React Native (I’m not thrilled with Cordova, it’s buggy, slow to start, and it’s browser view is ugly - and it’s hard to configure).

My current stack:

"asteroid": "^2.0.2",
"react-native": "^0.21.0",
"react-native-button": "^1.4.2",
"react-native-navbar": "^1.2.2",
"react-native-router-flux": "^2.3.11",
"react-native-vector-icons": "^1.3.2",
"react-redux": "^4.4.0",
"redux": "^3.3.1"

Asteroid is the part that integrates with Meteor. I’m planning to write some redux middleware to push updates through the view hierarchy, and keep everything in sync. I’ll probably eventually throw immutable.js in there, and a few other redux packages I found.

I feel like the client is very clean this way, so much so that I’m thinking of porting the web front end to a similar set up, maybe built with JSPM.

2 Likes

Why are you using Redux? Is it necessary? How did you wire Astronomy to work with tracker via ddp and is it worth the effort.

1 Like

Thanks!!! It’s looking good!

Redux has a bunch of neat features, but it’s overall organization (Flux with a single store) is appealing. It also has great tooling - you can look at the entire state of your application (not just the collections - but those too) using Redux dev tools. You can rewind state, etc. Very cool stuff.

Asteroid is lower level than Meteor’s Tracker. I plan to subscribe to it’s events and then update my redux store with any data that comes over the wire through Asteroid. Overall as far as data to the server and back, I’ll use methods to update anything, and rely on reactivity (ddp updates) and redux state updates to flow the data through my component hierarchy.