Redwood - deploy a JAMstack applications with ease

This is an interesting announcement in the world of Javascript frameworks.

Redwood is an opinionated, full-stack, serverless web application framework that will allow you to build and deploy JAMstack applications with ease. Imagine a React frontend, statically delivered by CDN, that talks via GraphQL to your backend running on AWS Lambdas around the world, all deployable with just a git push —that’s Redwood. By making a lot of decisions for you, Redwood lets you get to work on what makes your application special, instead of wasting cycles choosing and re-choosing various technologies and configurations. Plus, because Redwood is a proper framework, you benefit from continued performance and feature upgrades over time and with minimum effort.

2 Likes

Another JS framework/library? I’m slowly becoming a grumpy old man :smile:

2 Likes

Yes, this is the new Ruby on Rails for JS.

Sails, Meteor/Vulcan and Next?

1 Like

Those are old so no good now. :wink:

2 Likes

I fail to see the appeal. Lot of buzz words, lock-in into AWS technologies. I don’t know, for me there wasn’t anything that jump out as interesting. But maybe I’m just growing more cynical.

This looks great. I think file based components and the generation stuff makes this super compelling to me.

The generation is really the highest selling point here, but you can achieve the same thing with http://www.hygen.io/

Without the generators, I feel Meteor is still easier to use. Of course, redwood is targetting non-realtime, SQL backed serverless apps so it’s an entirely different market.

I do think meteor could benefit from built in generators though. meteor g component Navbar, meteor g collection Links etc.

1 Like

Just saw this yesterday while googling around. It uses Prisma2 behind the scene for type-safe database access, which is great

1 Like

If you’re interested in Redwood I’d really suggest checking out Vulcan (http://vulcanjs.org/) which is basically the same thing (in terms of overall goals at least) but based on Meteor.

7 Likes