📡 TRANSMISSION #14: Help pick topics

It’s time to plan TRANSMISSION show #14!

I will be talking with MDG team members about whatever the most interesting topics have been for the last month, and I’d like to get your help with that.

Reply here and let us know which recent topics are the most important to you!

Update

On Episode #13 we talked about Apollo and Saturn, Meteor 1.4, and community-maintained Blaze.

About TRANSMISSION

TRANSMISSION is a monthly show covering the most important topics to come out of the Meteor Forums. Each week we need your help to pick the most relevant forum posts for us to discuss with MDG in deeper detail.

Podcast Site: https://transmission.simplecast.fm/

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTUf4ytkmI8Q7cbf4J6aQEYun5g8fxt9B

2 Likes

Build performance.
Rebuild performance.
Install performance.
Update performance.
Publish performance.

While we’re at it:

Extracting meteor-tool@…

Every day someone new complains about this error.

7 Likes

broken builds
node versions
account-passwords
bcrypt
npm-bcrypt
node-gyp
build toolchains with [ Cordova, React Native, Electron ]
xcode-select

4 Likes

Keep them coming! Some great topic suggestions already.

1 Like

The future of Meteor, Apollo
The future - what to expect in Meteor 2.0
Current trends in JS frameworks and how Meteor is/will be different
The modern App development ecosystem/processes and Meteor

4 Likes

with a lot of people begin to doubt meteor, i would like to see meteor roadmap

6 Likes

Design patterns for mobile/cordova

How to split desktop/mobile version and access the same backend

4 Likes

How to use Meteor with Electron

1 Like

Apollo with React Native
React Native with Meteor

2 Likes

Getting rid of unwanted packages.
How to help out getting rid of dependencies with PRs.

Retrospective after 1.4.2 build optimizations.
There were talks about this being a quick fix and considering webpack long term => What’s the long term plan?

Incremental loading
wheeeeeeeeeeen?

2 Likes

Ah to be young and full of hope…

4 Likes

We did one about this already! https://medium.com/apollo-stack/apollo-graphql-react-native-and-meteor-48e8349fd75#.ugx7987nh

I don’t think this is a good topic for a podcast, there’s a great article here though: https://mixmax.com/blog/turnkey-electron-apps-with-meteor

Not really a topic for MDG but I have a wish for Transmission and @pauldowman:

I would subscribe to a blog that summarizes each Transmission episode in a heartbeat. I do like the podcast but the format makes it hard to get right to specific information that I’m looking for.

E.g. as sashko replied to @townmulti

Which is true and was informative, but when in that hour long episode is that covered?

1 Like

To be honest we don’t have time to do it. Would a transcript be enough? We actually have transcripts for every episode.

If someone from the community volunteers to make a summary I would happily publicize it alongside each episode - the recording is totally community run, so perhaps the summary can be as well.

Of course, this was definitely a request aimed at the community or anyone willing to do it.

Transcripts would certainly be nice as something to search through.

1 Like

A quick status on atmosphere would be nice, as it is a puzzle to me these days.

On the one hand are most of the packages on atmosphere (wrappers) unnecessary now that the npm support is up and running. All those packages could easily become deprecated because there are no reason to update them if you are at >= Meteor 1.3. Also, the site looks quite abandoned because all the “App download” stats has been broken for a loong time. An example is that most of the packages under “Most used” on the landing page has 0 downloads…

On the other hand is atmosphere the only place for packages that need to interfere with the build tool, or need to install files on both the client and the server. npm packages can’t do these things as easily at this point (to my understanding). Also, there was this update recently that moved the build process of binary files to the users of packages (instead of the authors), which show that effort is made to improve atmosphere. The same goes for the performance improvements for package installations etc…

Is the current strategy to fix/clean up atmosphere and make it a super tool for packages that require client and server code, or is the plan is to solve the hard challenges of using npm and rely on that single package system, which mdg then doesn’t have to maintain? Or is it still to be decided at this point?

3 Likes

Just finished recording - Boy, we talked about a lot of this stuff!

It turned out to mostly be a conversation between myself and Paul about all of these topics, but hopefully you guys can listen and get some info out of it. I agree that an hour long conversation is not the optimal information transfer format, but it’s the best we can do at the moment.

2 Likes

The video is up on MDG’s YouTube channel now!

Here it is: https://youtu.be/pqUPkoqoFJI

3 Likes