📡 TRANSMISSION #9: Testing Deep-Dive with Tom Coleman

Three shows is a bit much for one topic IMO, but we could have one show where we have different people call in!

2 Likes

I’d like to hear about the history of DDP.

Things like : How many iterations did it go through? Is it inspired by some other protocol? Has it been used in any non-meteor applications ? Has it been in Meteor from the very beginning ? Who originally designed it ? In a recent release ( I think ), the messages are automatically compressed before they are sent, how does that work ?

4 Likes

Yeah I’d be happy to talk about the testing stuff.

1 Like

It’s great to hear that there are people want to hear about our work at Xolv.io. Happy to share our code and experiences, be that with @benstr or others.

I personally would like to always see an MDG person on Transmissions, though it could make sense to have a duo at times. For instance, if @tmeasday and I work on Chimp together, then we can talk about that. Like wise, if @sashko and @aldeed work on SimpleSchema together, I’d love to hear about it. This way, the show stays true to the MDG & Community efforts.

Looking forward to the next show!

5 Likes

Let’s talk shop @sashko @benstr

2 Likes

I’d like to hear about the recent state and the future of *.meteor.com free hosting. Access not only to testing projects, but to many websites with community package documentation is lately difficult. It was addressed lately in quite a few forums topics.

It was suggested that *.meteor.com hosting will move to Galaxy with time. Perhaps at least the popular documentation websites like http://components.meteor.com or http://viewmodel.meteor.com could be moved faster.

8 Likes

Neat idea! I can see a huge value in doing this :slight_smile:

Lots to think about on this suggestion

4 Likes

Hi @brajt we’re definitely open to doing this. In fact, we’re putting together a program to recognize and support top technical content contributions (e.g. tutorials, docs) from the community. Can you please help us identify more of these must-have resources that currently exist on meteor.com hosting?

4 Likes

Some ideas to get us started:

Note: this is off topic for the TRANSMISSION thread, though - maybe we should start a new one about the best community resources. Sorry for derailing the thread.

4 Likes

Actually, the 4 sites listed by @sashko are the only ones I can remember and have in my bookmarks. Perhaps there aren’t that many as I thought actually? I’ll take a trip around my bookmarked github package projects to see which ones keep docs on free hosting.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your help with picking the topic and for the new ideas around community hosts! Good stuff :slightly_smiling:

We finalized show 9: Testing Deep-Dive with Tom Coleman. I am stoked :joy:

Since Tom lives on the other side of the world we will be recording the show next Monday. and releasing probably late Wednesday.

From now until Monday I need your input with what you think the 3 to 4 main testing topics should be and any associated questions for the discussion.

Thanks @tmeasday for being the special guest for show 9 :smile:

3 Likes

Please don’t forget about @aldeed’s http://autoform.meteor.com - I’ve used that site sooo many times!
(sorry to also derail - but it’s that important!)

3 Likes

Fantastic! Testing has been a pain and the new features are great. Great progress and would love to hear all the details.

One important part that is still unclear is the CI implementation. A must have for any serious application. Now that MDG is officially developing the test implememtation, CI should be top priority. Especially with the focus on larger apps. I’m curious about Toms vision on this.

3 Likes

Nice idea. You missed one aspect I think: What is the future of DDP? Has it been adopted anywhere outside of Meteor? And isn’t Apollo going to make it obsolete?

5 Likes

Wow, super excited about this!

• One topic I’d be interested in is Meteor-specific gotchas when it comes to testing. (Eg I recently learned that it is necessary to do a login both on the server and the client for mock users.)
  • It would also be great to get a preview of what we can expect in the v1.3 Meteor Guide on the topic of testing, ie an opinionated approach. (I’m assuming Tom is working on that - is that correct?)
1 Like

Definitely a +1 on Continuous Integration (and Continuous Deployment). SpaceJam, Chimp, Gagarin, Nightwatch, StarryNight… plenty of work being done throughout the JS community.

Also, has there been any consideration to Verification and Validation and other regulatory processes used by the FDA and NASA? Since Tom is located in Australia, is V&V part of his testing strategy, or not? Six-Sigma? DMAIC?

And what about all the various tools and utilities in the broader CI testing community? Scanning packages for acceptance/end-to-end tests? CI artifact registration? Build hooks for building documentation? Launching network security scanners? etc, etc?

3 Likes

As others have alluded to, the big questions for me is how much of the testing spectrum are MDG looking to take on? Is it just unit testing, or integration testing etc. too. And then on from that what’s the CI/CD story and are MDG looking to curate that too?

I think it will be really valuable to allow for both experienced testers and those a fairly low-level of knowledge on this as I’m guessing some or all of testing will be new to a lot of people, or at least the darker corners of testing beyond just automated unit/end-to-end testing may be.

That being said, those of us who’ve had the displeasure of visiting those corners could do with the detail, so I guess I’m saying my vote is for a long show that covers the basics and the detail too.

4 Likes

That’s very well put.

It also dovetails into various business strategy questions: is MDG going to have their own CI system along with Galaxy? If so, will it work with GitHub? Will there be an enterprise option for running it on local hardware?

Edit: Rest of post saved; to be posted in another time and place.

3 Likes

Looking forward to it!

6 Likes

I’ve been asking about what’s going to happen to DDP since the start of these transmissions. I hope it gets discussed this time?

3 Likes