Searching for a name for a Meteor fork

I think this should work for just reserving a name:
Open an authenticated (with your meteor developer account) DDP connection to the meteor package server ( https://packages.meteor.com )

Call method createReleaseTrack, with 1 argument: { name: 'developerOrOrganization:releaseName' }

Thanks! It works. But I think the name should be an adjective, because then things are like explosive:METEOR. So suggestion for an adjective?

eruptive:METEOR :smile:

Did you read seveneves? Iā€™ll never hear the term ā€˜bolideā€™ again without thinking of the hard rain in that book. O_o

2 Likes

I did not, but I do read sci-fi a lot, so thatā€™s going on the list, thanks! :wink:

The only reason I know what a bolide is is because a buddy named his hackathon project that: https://github.com/mattfeldman/bolide

1 Like

Hi, as you may know, I am running the meteor universal fork for ARM devices and BSD OSes.

I wonder about to put that code into such a community fork or not, what do you think in general?

@sashko :: If I am right, not all of my changes canā€™t be done as a meteor release? I needed to change e.g. the meteor script itself to recognize ARM and BSD or the bundle scripts. Those arenā€™t parts of a release, correct?

Cheers
Tom

2 Likes

If you guys going for community fork, I beg you to chose the faster-rebuilds branches. I have no idea about 1.3, but for 1.2 it works like a miracle and makes the development much, much less annoying, especially on low-end machines.

Hi @brajt

what branch your are targeting to? Could your please post a link.

Thanks
Tom

1 Like

@tomfreudenberg I couldnā€™t locate this branch in Meteorā€™s Github, but I refer to

meteor update --release 1.2.2-faster-rebuilds.0

which is basically 1.2.1 with this pull request pushed.

@brajt

This was merged to 1.3 as this PR https://github.com/meteor/meteor/commit/a576bda03a584dda3ac5e6200bb207008cefd482

I will do an update to our current 1.2.1 fork release and test the improvements.
Thanks for pointing to that.

Tom

Thanks a lot! :slightly_smiling:

The improvement is especially big on low-end machines. My rebuild times went down from 30-80 seconds to 5-10 seconds depending on amount of saved files and how occupied the CPU is with other stuff.

If itā€™s already merged to 1.3 then itā€™s really great, thanks for the news.

I will give a feedback what this will be on the small ARM devices like Raspi & Co.

2 Likes

meteor-impact
meteor-grain
meteor-dust
meteor-seed-x
ā€¦

1 Like

meteor should rename itself to asteroid and the fork should be named meteor and then everything would make sense :sunny:

2 Likes

Or, the community works should be ā€œasteroid beltā€. So there could be many forks, each one asteroid from the asteroid belt. :slight_smile: belt:mitar would be my personal fork, for example. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Comet
Itā€™s obvious, isnā€™t it?

Some more ideas (and taglines):

satellite (they also burn up in the atmosphere sometimes)
supernova (we burn longer and brighter than meteor)
blackhole (we accept all your contributions!)
tunguska (making a big impact! ā€¦Be careful with tunguska:event, it actually blows away all your data)

2 Likes

Spaceship - and we can all be on it!

You can go on to claim that the code was passed down to you by aliens, and that you are the sole authority that speaks to the aliens and the development community.

History tells us that someone else will then fork that, and rearrange the code in the packages, maybe change some of the names, and call it something else. That will probably be adopted by the majority of the world.

The problem is then weā€™d have a lot of competition and may not get away with charging what we charge. Are you sure you want to do this?

3 Likes

Itā€™s a fork, so why not Terraform? By forking and tweaking, we kinda terraform Meteor.

1 Like