Searching for a name for a Meteor fork

I am searching for proposals for a name for a Meteor fork.

2 Likes

What’s its purpose? Start there. Branding generally follows mission statement.

2 Likes

Oh, just to have a space where various people can merge in their changes, instead of having all separate forks.

community-meteor
public-meteor
experimental-meteor
pr-meteor
anything-goes-meteor

6 Likes

I like this idea. I support a well-governed and assiduously updated and maintained community-meteor fork. Would also be great to be able to just turn it on at the command line just by passing -c as an option to the meteor command.

1 Like

I think you can. Meteor support non-official Meteor releases.

Oh, I got an idea. Because this fork would be much less stable than the core one (is an assumption, not sure if it will be true), so it will be much more explosive. So let’s have some pun on this?

meteor-strike maybe?

Keep in mind that if you get to the point of publishing a release track with the updated tool and packages, the syntax people will use will be meteor run --release explosive:METEOR

I feel like it will be more like:

meteor update --release explosive:METEOR
meteor

You can also update to new releases just with meteor update.

So really you only need to type the one command once. This worked quite well for the Windows preview track, which was basically a fork of Meteor for 5 months.

4 Likes

This looks really cool.

Now somebody should just make a script which would merge upstream Meteor into the fork regularly, and if some merging fails, it would contact the author of the pull request which made commits which are now failing, and if the author does not respond in some timely manner, would revert that pull request and remove it from the fork. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like you should use CRDTs for your PRs :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Armageddon ?
(Ignore this, I need at least 20 characters)

2 Likes

Hm, interesting interesting. But I would just remove that feature nobody is willing to take time to merge properly to a new version. :slight_smile:

So hopefully the whole fork could be maintained automatically by volunteers. :slight_smile:

Love it!

(20 characters for me as well)

So, it’s explosive :slight_smile: I kind a like that name.

1 Like

here’s my contribution - msPaint to the rescue!

9 Likes

You could use Bolide, which is a very brightly burning meteor that explodes in the atmosphere?

(Or bolis if you want it to be fancy and greek)

3 Likes

@sashko: how does one reserve the release name?

Sounds great! But Meteor organization name is already taken. :frowning: