Self-hosted Meteor APM with MUP

TL/DR: Get a stable, fully functional, HTTPS enabled Meteor APM server running in less than 30 minutes using lmachens/meteor-apm-server.

After leaving Galaxy hosting for AWS, I went through every forum post trying to find the minimum-pain method of getting APM back up and running.

I tried the NodeChef service, and it was acceptable but did not feature any alerts, and the service pricing wasn’t attractive: (as of 2/26/18) $10/month per host, no pro-rating, only 4 days of data retention.

I tried the various compose and docker setups with partial success. While they would spin up a server, they only supported HTTP, which was unacceptable. Attempting to modify or fix these solutions was a painful time sink.

I finally found lmachens/meteor-apm-server which combined all the various APM server components into one Meteor project. After fixing a few issues with proxy config, missing mongo indexes, and excessive docker logs, I finally have a stable, self-hosted APM server running an AWS t2.micro instance for under ~$10/month.

The default setup throws everything (mongo, apm-server, apm-ui, nginx proxy) on a single server and it just works. For devs with small applications, this is all that is needed, and it should not take a lot of time to get this up and running. From there it is trivial to scale out to hosted mongo if you need it, but I expect this setup will work for many.

Running a own Kadira instance Update: now with a guide!

Did you use MUP, or the Docker image?

If you did use Docker, how did you setup SSL?

Please also share what you did to fix the Proxy issues etc. :slight_smile:

I used MUP, you can see detailed instructions here.

Let’s talk more about this… What’s your overall process for this setup, rolling out new releases, horizontal scaling, etc? Are you using Passenger?

I put together a detailed post about the process of switching.

To give you a quick summary:

• Typically I push new releases when the site isn’t being heavily used, as there is a very brief (~30 second) downtime for each server as I update (one at a time). If I need to do a zero-downtime push, I need to manually remove a server from the load balancer while being updated, but I typically don’t need to bother.

• I’m getting great sustained and even better burst performance on AWS. I no longer need horizontal scaling, as I can handle almost 10x the amount of burst users for the same cost as on Galaxy.

• I’m not using Passenger.

Very cool. I haven’t checked in on MUP in a long time since using Galaxy once it came out. Nice to see there’s a nice community around it. I’m spending so much on Galaxy because I’ve been having to handle a lot of users by brute-force while I optimize my app and integrate redis-oplog. In addition to those optimizations I want to get off Galaxy all together eventually. It’s so overpriced.

Did you not check into https://github.com/zodern/mup-aws-beanstalk? It says it handles load balancing, rolling updates, etc. A lot of the pain points you mention when migrating to AWS from Galaxy.

Do you also host your own DB in AWS too? Or do you use a vendor?

Also, how do you subscribe to your blog? I saw no way of doing this.

That repo was released after I completed my AWS setup, so I haven’t tried it yet. I used mlab for Mongo, they are awesome.

I used github pages / jekyll to host my blog, it’s all static. I don’t have any subscription service set up for it though, lol.