So how to learn Meteor now with all the changes?

Yes, Meteor will do the security part (with accounts package), but after you send the user data (permission, role, ect) - you will also need to restrict on the view layer (if user has permission - render this; if not - render this). Same with sub/pub - restrict in Meteor, check what came in React.

It’s actually simple and I managed to do all the auth/permissions stuff in a day. You just need to start using this combo (meteor + react + router) and if have questions - first see docs, then google, then search forum, then ask forum/chat :wink:

I believe this all came to be how MDG did their announcement on the future of Blaze. Perhaps the right intentions, decent arguments were overwhelmed by its style. Now I am better informed.

I just want to help you with Meteor adoption for your project. Eventually, a Meteor app gets transformed into a node app. This is exactly where Meteor is the solution: isomorphic javascript and integrating tools seamlessly for developers vs traditional strategies. You do not need to be a Mongo ninja to work NoSQL and have the advantage to use local storage with minimongo. Powerful tools are available, such as the packages and solutions from Kadira for monitoring, Xolvio’s cucumber brings a testing platform available with a single command and with webpack the amazing features as HMR are within reach. Writing methods that work with DDP, gives you the power to web driven RPC and Reactive data are unsung hero’s.

Blaze as an idea will exist and for the time being there is backward compatibility. So nobody died and no bodies were found.

Yes, the example and patterns are horrible and tutorials full of deprecated API. But there are many resources out there that provide awesome content. You will learn Meteor by doing it as it should be done: go to meetups, ask your questions, join slacks, compete with hackatons and take leaps of faith. There are plenty solutions out there, but if you want to take Meteor to prom, it will take more than a beer. However, we all know which piece on the chessboard scores most.

All these changes you see in Meteor coming up these days, these are for the good only. However, with these changes lots of resource and tutorial on the internet are becoming outdated. We have put together an ebook here for beginners based on latest version of Meteor ( currently 1.3 ), do check this out

http://www.learn-meteor.in

It is based on latest Meteor and covers all aspects of MeteorJS. It is an easy read, and take things step by step through examples.

1 Like

I don’t think you have given potential buyers of your eBook enough information to make buying decisions. You should at least give a detailed table of content. There is no indication of the view tool you used.

I also think it will be in your interest and in the interest of your readers to make a chapter or a section of a chapter available free of charge for them to determine if your style of writing is for them. As it is at the moment, there is nothing to convince people to buy it.

2 Likes

Hey @aerocoder - Thanks for the suggestions. The detailed table of contents is available on the website. The website also shows what how this book is different. I really like your suggestion for making few chapters free, will surely think on that.

IMHO, Meteor is no more a JS framework but more a build tool/distribution of JS techs.
So this is now more about learning JS techs than learning Meteor.
When choosing which techs to learn, choose those that are universal and successful (React, Redux…) and stay away from those too specific to Meteor, so that you don’t end up having to rewrite everything when they do their next 180° turnaround.

1 Like

Thanks for your astute insights, as always @vjau. I agree with this your comments for developers just starting out.

What’s your take on moving to Apollo/GraphQL (very MDG specific) for us developers already invested in Meteor?