Solution for flaky subscriptions?

Im using Graphcool’s backend as a service. Im new to GraphQL in general so I don’t know if this is a common issue or not, but Im finding subscriptions to be flaky. Normal queries on the other hand work fine.

On the page that uses a subscription about half of the time I get this error in my browser console:

WebSocket connection to ‘wss://subscriptions.graph.cool/v1/PROJECT-ID’ failed: WebSocket is closed before the connection is established.

When I get the error my subscription does’t work. If I refresh the page a few times then it works again. I am in Thailand but I’m at a co-working space and the internet seems fine for everything else.

Even if intermittent this is a major issue for me as I’m using a subscription to update facebook style comments on a page. So when it doesn’t work the user can’t see they’ve left a comment, meaning they’ll either comment again or think that comments don’t work.

Im not sure if this is a Graphcool or Apollo issue, but is there a way to make Apollo continuously try and reconnect to the subscription endpoint if there is an issue?

This is what my index JS file has:

const wsLink = new WebSocketLink({
	uri: `wss://subscriptions.graph.cool/v1/PROJECT-ID`,
	options: {
		reconnect: true,
	},
});

const httpLink = new HttpLink({
	uri: 'https://api.graph.cool/simple/v1/PROJECT-ID',
});

// auth
const middlewareAuthLink = new ApolloLink((operation, forward) => {
	const token = localStorage.getItem('auth-token');
	const authorizationHeader = token ? `Bearer ${token}` : null;
	operation.setContext({
		headers: {
			authorization: authorizationHeader,
		},
	});
	return forward(operation);
});

const cache = new InMemoryCache();

// @TODO Remote local state stuff
const defaultState = {
	CurrentUserIsLoggedIn: {
		__typename: 'CurrentUserIsLoggedIn',
		value: false,
	},
};

const stateLink = withClientState({
	cache,
	defaults: defaultState,
	resolvers: {
		Mutation: {
			CurrentUserIsLoggedIn: (_, args) => {
				const data = {
					CurrentUserIsLoggedIn: {
						__typename: 'CurrentUserIsLoggedIn',
						value: args.value,
					},
				};
				cache.writeData({ data });
			},
		},
	},
});

const client = new ApolloClient({
	cache,
	link: ApolloLink.from([
		stateLink,
		middlewareAuthLink,

split(
			// split based on operation type
			({ query }) => {
				const { kind, operation } = getMainDefinition(query);
				return kind === 'OperationDefinition' && operation === 'subscription';
			},
			wsLink,
			httpLink,
		),
	]),
});

ReactDOM.render(
	<ApolloProvider client={client}>
		<App />
	</ApolloProvider>,
	document.getElementById('root'),
);
1 Like

have you posted over on the Graphcool forums? They also have a Slack channel.

I did yes although I’m not seeing the issue anymore. As no one has posted It doesn’t seem like my code has issues. Maybe one of those mysteries :wink:

the issue solved itself? We are migrating away from Meteor to Vue + graphcool. So I’m interested to hear about your experience.

I created a new Graphcool project at a closer location and it seems to be fine. I don’t know if the closer location fixed it or if there was an error somewhere in my old code.

Ive yet to release my project but so far I’m a big fan. The support and documentation isnt always great but for me its been worth it. Im a front-ender at heart so a serverless CRUD api (in addition to the standard GraphQL goodness) is a major selling point.

1 Like

Hmm the issue seems to occasionally come back. I submitted a comment and nothing happens, submit another right away and that one does show up. To check I refreshed the page and both comments were there.

As outlined in the thread below this was a Graphcool issue: