[Solved] Meteor seems to be corrupt, reinstalled does not appear to fix

Im doing a project using meteor and whenever I try to run the program I get this error:

"C:\Program Files\JetBrains\WebStorm 2019.3\bin\runnerw64.exe" C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\meteor.bat test --driver-package meteortesting:mocha --port 3100 --once --settings settings-development.json
[[[[[ Tests ]]]]]

=> Started proxy.
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\meteor-promise\promise_server.js:218
      throw error;
      ^

Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, lstat 'C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\Temp\mt-1tb4i31.6o05\npm\node_modules\.fibers-garbage-1p6affq.5grc'
    at Object.fs.lstatSync (fs.js:941:11)
    at C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\tools\fs\tools\fs\files.ts:1626:23
    at wrap.makeCacheKey (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\tools\fs\tools\fs\optimistic.ts:36:15)
    at recomputeNewValue (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\optimism\src\entry.ts:182:31)
    at Slot.withValue (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\@wry\context\lib\context.js:73:29)
    at reallyRecompute (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\optimism\src\entry.ts:165:19)
    at Entry.recompute (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\optimism\src\entry.ts:85:9)
    at optimistic (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\optimism\src\index.ts:101:25)
    at path (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\tools\fs\tools\fs\optimistic.ts:267:14)
    at recomputeNewValue (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\optimism\src\entry.ts:182:31)
    at Slot.withValue (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\@wry\context\lib\context.js:73:29)
    at reallyRecompute (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\optimism\src\entry.ts:165:19)
    at Entry.recompute (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\optimism\src\entry.ts:85:9)
    at optimistic (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\optimism\src\index.ts:101:25)
    at optimisticReaddir.forEach.item (C:\tools\isobuild\builder.js:690:26)
    at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
    at walk (C:\tools\isobuild\builder.js:656:34)
    at Builder._copyDirectory (C:\tools\isobuild\builder.js:788:5)
    at Builder.copyNodeModulesDirectory (C:\tools\isobuild\builder.js:550:17)
    at _.each (C:\tools\isobuild\isopack.js:1150:17)
    at Function._.each._.forEach (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\dev_bundle\lib\node_modules\underscore\underscore.js:191:9)
    at Isopack.saveToPath (C:\tools\isobuild\isopack.js:1149:9)
    at exports.Tropohouse._saveIsopack (C:\tools\packaging\tropohouse.js:337:15)
    at buildmessage.enterJob (C:\tools\packaging\tropohouse.js:526:16)
    at Object.enterJob (C:\tools\utils\buildmessage.js:388:12)
    at C:\tools\packaging\tropohouse.js:515:22
    at Object.download (C:\tools\packaging\tropohouse.js:427:20)
    at C:\tools\packaging\tropohouse.js:600:22
    at exports.Tropohouse.downloadPackagesMissingFromMap (C:\tools\packaging\tropohouse.js:597:20)
    at C:\tools\project-context.js:836:25
    at C:\tools\project-context.js:835:20
    at C:\tools\packaging\catalog\catalog.js:100:5
    at Object.capture (C:\tools\utils\buildmessage.js:283:5)
    at Object.catalog.runAndRetryWithRefreshIfHelpful (C:\tools\packaging\catalog\catalog.js:99:31)
    at ProjectContext._downloadMissingPackages (C:\tools\project-context.js:834:13)
    at C:\tools\project-context.js:300:9
    at ProjectContext._completeStagesThrough (C:\tools\project-context.js:290:18)
    at Profile.run (C:\tools\project-context.js:282:12)
    at Function.run (C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.8.2\mt-os.windows.x86_64\tools\tool-env\tools\tool-env\profile.ts:289:14)
    at ProjectContext.prepareProjectForBuild (C:\tools\project-context.js:281:13)
    at C:\tools\runners\run-app.js:547:29
    at Object.capture (C:\tools\utils\buildmessage.js:283:5)
    at bundleApp (C:\tools\runners\run-app.js:546:31)
    at AppRunner._runOnce (C:\tools\runners\run-app.js:613:35)
    at AppRunner._fiber (C:\tools\runners\run-app.js:929:28)
    at C:\tools\runners\run-app.js:401:12

Process finished with exit code 1

I am using windows 10 version 1903 and I installed meteor using chocolatey. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling meteor in terminal yesterday and it seemed to work but the error occured again today and reinstalling meteor does not seem to solve the error.

That’s a permissions error. It can occur because you don’t have permissions to read the file, or another program has a lock on the file.

Since you said it was working before, I’m going to assume you installed it as adminsitrator through chocolatey. Are you running as user?

Yes i installed as administrator and I tried running as administrator as well but the same error occurs

Okay i managed to make it work, i reinstalled meteor and reinstalled babel/core without admin privileges and ran the program without admin privileges and it somehow worked

Meteor needs to be installed in a shell with elevated privileges, but must never be run like that. Always run as a normal user. It sounds like you’ve now got there :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@filipenevola Another request for the list:
Can the Windows wrapper for Meteor check if it’s running in administrator mode and issue a warning before clobbering permissions?
Or otherwise give better instructions to make it really clear what steps need to be followed and the pitfalls to avoid?

1 Like