[SOLVED] Mocha is unhappy about absolute paths and meteor imports

I’m using Enzyme and Mocha to test my React components, and I’ve run into two major problems with it:

1. Absolute paths when using import are not supported.
  2. As soon as an import { xyz } from 'meteor/some:package is encountered, it’s all over.

How do I address these issues? @SkinnyGeek1010, @sam?

PS: I’m using strictly npm-based testing frameworks (enzyme, sinon, chai, mocha), not practicalmeteor:mocha.

How do these tools deal with the non-standard import syntax in Webpack? There must be some ways to plug in various ways to interpret module paths.

One would think so. You’re asking the wrong guy, though… still zero experience with webpack (no time, currently). :tired_face: :slight_smile:

Re problem 2), is this the issue or am I misunderstanding: Meteor 1.3 testing - with “meteor/meteor:x” package imports? Not sure if you’re using the Meteor test runner, but if you are then that thread is relevant I think.

Thanks, Tom! That looks like it’ll solve the issue of Mocha choking on Meteor package imports. It doesn’t address the fact that my imports are mostly absolute paths, which Mocha doesn’t like. I suppose I could go through my whole project and change everything to relative, but I’ve got a pretty deep folder hierarchy, and would wind up with imports like:

import Thing from '../../../../client/components/Thing';

There must be a way to get Mocha to recognize absolute paths!

EDIT: To be clear, I’m referring to the import statements in my actual code, not the Mocha tests.

Hey, did you try https://github.com/mantrajs/babel-root-slash-import?

Holy crap, THANK YOU. This appears to work, as the test no longer throws an error on the importing from /lib/collections anymore. So now it’s throwing an error here:

Error: Cannot find module 'meteor/mongo'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:438:15)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:386:25)
    at Module.require (module.js:466:17)
    at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
    at Object.<anonymous> (tags.js:1:1)
    at Module._compile (module.js:541:32)

Which is understandable. The proxyquire solution that @tomRedox posted above should address the importation of Meteor packages.

Thanks again!!

Yeah, arunoda developed this for testing in mantra via external mocha back with Meteor 1.2 :slight_smile:

Hi, @ffxsam How did you manage to solve the issue? I’m having the exact same problem. Can’t get the test to work.

Error: Cannot find module 'meteor/mongo’
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:440:15)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:388:25)
at Module.require (module.js:468:17)
at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
at Object. (posts.js:1:1)
at Module._compile (module.js:541:32)

I tried the solutions mentioned above but still can’t get it to work.

Oops… nevermind, I got it to work. :slight_smile:

What did you do? I wound up just using the meteor test instead of npm test.

In my case, What happened was I had a schema defined together with the collection on one file. So when I imported the schema it also includes import {Mongo} from 'meteor/mongo';. So what I did was just separate the collection and the schema into two files and that fixed my problem.

I’m using Mantra, btw.

Hope it could help solve your problem. :slight_smile: