[Solved] Subscription Cache or Local Storage or Other Pattern?

Hey guys. So this is the scenario:

I have a Documents collection. I subscribe for a list of them, and when one of the list is clicked I subscribe to that particular document with _id, so I have the data for the Detail View.

My problem with this, is that I want to reuse those components, and have a “Search” feature.
Search will search for documents in a endpoint in the web, HTTP.get. I do that with publications and storing results in a local collection SearchDocuments.

When I want to see the detail view, I would like to keep that document in the local SearchDocuments collection.
But:
Changing the route destroys the component. SearchDocument disappear, and subscription stops.

What would be the best practice for this scenario?

-> list view:
- subscribe ‘allDocs’
if clicking in one doc, Doc View:
- subscribe ‘oneDoc’, _id

-> search view: query?

• search query in API HTTP.get
  • subscribe to ‘search’ with query. Publication stores in SearchCollection created in client.
  • Docs results are in SearchCollection only in Client.

if clicking in one doc of SearchCollection (results), Doc View:
- subscribe ‘oneDoc’, _id (will not find in the DB since docs came from a search in HTTP.get)
* SHOULD I? 1) HTTP.get only that document? (API /docs/id will bring only that doc back again from the web)
2) Keep that clicked doc somewhere in a local storage? and pass it to the Detail View
3) Try to keep the subscription alive after route changes?

Hope is somehow clear the scenario :smile:

You need a subscription manager! This one is pretty good: https://github.com/ccorcos/meteor-subs-cache

Qualia will also hopefully be open-sourcing our internal subscription manager soon.

2 Likes

Looks like a nice package. I got bored o googling, so wrote a bit my own cache :slight_smile: Working well, but this package has more powerfull features!

Cheers mate!