(Solved) What is my mistake packaging my tiny jQuery plugin?

As a way to show the problem I am encountering I have created a very, very trivial package and accompanying demo app and published them on Github: fliptext and fliptext-demo.
(You can see also the [Travis report] (https://travis-ci.org/warehouseman/fliptext) and the Atmosphere listing.)

fliptest/fliptest.js is the file that actually does something.

I am having no success following the Meteorpedia article paragraph “Packaging existing libraries >> jQuery libraries” that says, “… as simple as placing the library in the smart package and listing the appropriate files in package.js …”.

I have been able to get it to work two different ways, both of which seem wrong :

1. Add a bit of Meteor to the plugin file
  2. Pull a bit of jQuery stuff out to a separate file

So, the first (current option) looks like this …

./fliptext/fliptext.js :

flipText = function(content) {
   var len = content.length;
   var result = new Array();
   for (var idx = 0  ; idx < len  ; idx++) {
     var cOld = content[idx];
     var cNew = FlipTable[content[idx]];
     var xdi = len -1 - idx;
     result[xdi] = (cNew == undefined) ? cOld : cNew;
   };
   return result.join('');
 };
Meteor.startup(function () {
   if (Meteor.isClient) { 
     (function ( $ ) {
      $.fn.flipElementText = function() {
         this.text(flipText(this.text()));
         return this;
       };
    }( jQuery ));
   }
});

The second option looks like this …

./fliptext/client/lib/compatibility/fliptext.js :

flipText = function(content) {
    var len = content.length;
    var result = new Array();
    for (var idx = 0  ; idx < len  ; idx++) {
      var cOld = content[idx];
      var cNew = FlipTable[content[idx]];
      var xdi = len -1 - idx;
      result[xdi] = (cNew == undefined) ? cOld : cNew;
    };
    return result.join('');
};

./fliptext/fliptext-jq.js :

Meteor.startup(function () {
if (Meteor.isClient) {

(function ( $ ) {
    $.fn.flipElementText = function() {
        this.text(flipText(this.text()));
        return this;
      };
   }( jQuery ));
  }
});

It seems to me that the “$.fn.flipElementText” declaration belongs in the original source file, but no matter how I do it I get a “jQuery not found” error.

My question is – what is the correct way to do this that will work for any jQuery plugin?

Is the problem that you can’t use jQuery? But when you put your code in a function passed to Meteor.startup, you can? If so, then you probably need to tell Meteor that your package depends on the jQuery package (api.use('jquery', 'client')).

@Peppe_LG

Thanks for the tip! You are correct that that was missing, and that it is necessary. I’m not sure why I removed it; I can see that I had it in there in the beginning.

Unfortunately, adding it does not solve the problem.

In the file fliptext.js at the bottom, commenting out lines 122-132 and uncommmenting lines 108-115 causes the error :

Reference Error:  jQuery is not defined

I tried to find a jQuery plugin adaptation in Atmospherjs that would give me some clues, but I don’t see one. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Now I have to figure out why adding a commented section in that file breaks my Travis build.

Based on what your package.js looks like, you want your package to work on both the client and the server, right? I fear that the jquery package only gives you the jQuery object on the client (source), so you’re in trouble. I guess you have to add the jQuery lib to the server side yourself.

No, my plugin doesn’t need to work on the server.

Yes, that solves the problem.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your help with that.