Some Exciting Meteor News

And for a bit of additional context see: https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/02/tiny-acquires-meteor/

5 Likes

This is amazing. I’m so excited to see where new life will take Meteor.

Thank you to MDG for all of the amazing work done on Meteor up until this point.

16 Likes

Im really happy about this news, my biggest question is, will Ben still work on Meteor?

23 Likes

Well @benjamn is compiling his response right now, so we will know soon.

6 Likes

This was literally the first thought in my head after reading the news from Meteor blog :laughing:

9 Likes

Since Meteor’s bithday, there have been loooot of occasions when we were eating popcorn waiting to hear for @benjamn

But never has it been so paramount than right now :rofl:

4 Likes

I have a ton of feelings and hopes and ideas related to this transition, but I keep coming back to the following way of thinking about what’s happening:

We (MDG and the community) have been acutely aware of a bug in the organizational structure of Galaxy and Meteor. Specifically, revenue from payments by Galaxy customers simply was not flowing back into Meteor or Galaxy development, because MDG/Apollo is financially committed to the growth of Apollo and GraphQL, first and foremost.

If you’ve spent any time in the Meteor community, this bug report will not come as a surprise. Long-time Meteor contributor @KoenLav opened an issue earlier this year to draw attention to these problems, which spawned a healthy discussion about communication and commitments:

I have personally carved out as much time as I could to work on Meteor, which was justified because a lot of the same technologies have found applications in both Meteor and Apollo, MDG uses Meteor internally, and Galaxy revenue has been immensely valuable to the company. However, none of those justifications delivers what the community has every right to expect: that the money you pay for Galaxy hosting and support should be spent on improving (and marketing!) Galaxy and Meteor. The only truly sustainable justification for Meteor development is that it pays for itself, plain and simple.

By separating Meteor and Galaxy from Apollo and GraphQL, we can finally restore the positive feedback loop between Meteor’s technical development, Galaxy growth and revenue, and Meteor adoption.

I couldn’t be happier with Tiny as the new stewards of this open-source business. All their incentives are aligned to rejuvenate Meteor and grow its community, using the very resources provided by that community, both financial and technical. And they have a proven track record of similar acquisitions. If they play their cards right, Meteor has every chance to become the crown jewel of their portfolio.

Yes, I still work (primarily) for Apollo, and I will not be joining the Tiny team to work full-time on Meteor. Anyone would be lucky to have a side project as fun and promising and worthwhile as Meteor, and that’s exactly how I think about my continued involvement. While I’m not in any hurry to stop working on Meteor, I am eager to share responsibility for issue triage, roadmap planning, release engineering, and all the other processes that make Meteor what it is. With any luck, those processes will only accelerate thanks to dedicated human and financial resources.

Exciting times ahead!

P.S. If you’ve been wondering why we haven’t merged any pull requests in the last couple of weeks—especially all the TypeScript conversion PRs sitting unmerged—it’s because we needed a new Contributor License Agreement, but it was tricky to explain the need for the new CLA without divulging the news of the acquisition.

70 Likes

Thank you @benjamn Very excited to see where this will go. :clap::clap::clap:

6 Likes

Thanks for your thoughtful and considered response, Ben - and for your unparalleled work over the past few years.

I confess to to being excited and apprehensive all at the same time.

24 Likes

So excited about this! I feel like there’s a ton of potential in the Meteor vision, and I can’t wait to see what Tiny makes of it.

34 Likes

I am excited to see what a renewed focus will produce in terms of a reduction in the FUD surrounding Meteor. I think this will be a good thing. I think this coupled with the Meteor Community group’s effort to help maintain the critical packages that makes building applications with meteor so painless will go a long way in showing people that Meteor is here to stay. @benjamn we would all be sad to see you go so I am hopeful that you will continue to be a big part of the project moving forward … just with the benefit of receiving more support

4 Likes

As somebody who has answered many Galaxy support tickets with “that suggestion sounds like a great idea but I can’t commit to a timeline for implementing it’”, I’m really looking forward to the presentation I’m giving soon to the Tiny dev team on “My Top Ten Recommended Improvements To Galaxy”!

27 Likes

Thank you Ben, you brought us all to this :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you, MDG, for everything you’ve done, and for finding a great new home for Meteor!

5 Likes

Here’s a part of the announcement I found particularly exciting:

Tiny was started by the founders of MetaLab, the design agency famous for creating the interfaces of some of the world’s top products, from Slack to Uber Eats. Their mission is to acquire, and then scale, “wonderful internet businesses”, especially businesses at the intersection of community and design. And their model works. If you’ve witnessed the growth of Dribbble in recent years, you’ve seen Tiny’s handiwork.

Fantastic!

3 Likes

So, is anyone from the original team joining Tiny?

Also, is Tiny searching then for a new team for Meteor? Where should one send resumes then?

32 Likes

That’s good, I’m beginning with Meteor and it’s really incredible. :smile:

8 Likes

We’ve wondered, welcome back!

3 Likes

Good point, I definitely want to apply :smiley:

Excited to see what the new staff brings to the Meteor’s development!

4 Likes