Some Exciting Meteor News

That used to be true, and helped with the early take up of Meteor, but that benefit is not unique to Blaze anymore. Some would argue (myself included) that Vue is easier to learn than Blaze, plus has a much bigger ecosystem and community.

I think that these days Meteor can be completely view-layer agnostic. Leave Blaze to the community. Write the guide using all three (Blaze/Vue/React) and let the user select which version of the guide they are viewing.

8 Likes

So… if being view-layer agnostic, what is left?

1. Community.
  2. Build system.
  3. Reactivity binding to view layer.

Anything else?

Ease of use. Meteor is just about zero-config, which is a big win.

And the accounts system as well. That can be a huge time-saver.

2 Likes

The other important thing I use is the account system. The ecosystem (community), zero config (important) build system and server platform, methods (so easy), easy to configure features like code splitting, SSR, etc. There’s a lot of value here.

5 Likes

The folks disagreeing with Sacha and at the same time asking for Blaze improvements are actually evidence to Sacha’s points about the polarized community. I get that “Blaze is great” and “is unique” and “serves the business needs”… However, for me, I see there are design tools and “no code” solutions that spit out React components. There are hundreds of thousands of re-usable React components on npm. Blaze will never see the kind of network effect and adoption that React has. I don’t care if that’s a “popularity fallacy”, it’s not a fallacy when we talk about sheer amount of reusable open-source code that the world has delivered to itself.

So let me pose this… What if Meteor fully adopted and seamlessly integrated with React? What if it was the first fullstack framework to blow our minds with React’s upcoming Suspense for Data-fetching release (React v17). Do you think Meteor would finally see some more interest from outside? (Hint: Yes)

12 Likes

I agree that having full integration with React 17 would be awesome, but I still think the choice is important. As things are right now Vue is a better choice (check out the discussion in the PR that is working towards that goal).
Having a primary front-end, in this case React, I think would be the best for anyone who is looking for an opinion/direction, while we must not close Meteor to other options. I think that would be step backward.

4 Likes

Why React from originally PHP-developing company? ) Python is the next big thing. If Bitcoin publishes some cool Pythdoom framework and it becomes the next big thing, everyone will go there. I already see that design of Web-sites is largely influenced by ugly fintech colours.

The problem of those rumbling about abandoning of Blaze/Meteor hosting/etc. including me is not Blaze as a framework but forgetting ‘constitution of Meteor’, the five principles or something, which are now erased completely. It is not React to blame but forgetting the basis, what was all that about when started.

1 Like

Accounts is just a shade of what is offered to other systems, for example - SaaSWeb, Laravel 6 & vue SaaS Starter kit Preview - CodeCanyon

P.S. Laravel is perfectly okay with Blade like Meteor was with Blaze. And instead of ‘pivoting’ they have built a great ecosystem:

Actually, Meteor had most of the components of this ecosystem 5 years ago but no marketing and no intent to continue.

2 Likes

what?! things is getting worse? Meteor lost it’s unique part-time programmer?

anyway, thank you Ben

3 Likes

Whoops I missed this part. Of course people like @benjamn are fundamental to Meteor future, but that’s life. I’m sure Tiny is working to reconstruct a core team soon. I’m sure that we’ll get some news soon about this, because you don’t buy a company without people with the right skills to make it a profitable business.

4 Likes

Hi, as probably many of you already know I’m now Meteor Evangelist (I’m joining Meteor as Developer Evangelist!) working for Tiny and then feel free to reach me.

You can send me messages whatever you prefer, here in the forums is fine and also on Twitter https://twitter.com/filipenevola

And to be clear, the Meteor community is very important for Tiny and we will do our best to communicate well with you, understand your needs and help as we can.

10 Likes

Amazing news. I’m a total Meteor fan, since the beginning, both for MVP’ing and for production. Can’t wait to see what the future brings us :slight_smile: And let’s get the community rolling again!

8 Likes