SSR and this.userId

I’ve got a UI problem. When I use SSR to render a public page, there doesn’t appear to be a way to check if the user is logged in or not. As a result the navigation bar always renders with login/register links and then after the client side loads, which is a split second later, if the user is logged in the navbar updates accordingly. This isn’t a huge issue, it just doesn’t look very clean.

Is there a clean solution to fix this?

With my knowledge, there is no solution. Maybe somehow you store the token in cookie and try to read it in server side.
But, I use SSR for SEO purpose only, then it’s not the problem.

My solution is to skip SSR for authenticated users, figuring they are going to stick around, even with a slower page load (maybe this is a faulty assumption, but it’s what I do). What I do is set a cookie (called sssr - skip server side rendering) on sign in, and unset it on sign out. In my server-render script, I simply checks that, and doesn’t bother rendering on the server if it’s set.

Thanks @captainn I’ve read about the use of cookies. @minhna suggested the same thing.

Can you share your code for doing this?

Meteor store the login token in local storage:

• Meteor.loginToken
  • Meteor.loginTokenExpires
  • Meteor.userId

You can read them and set the cookie value.

I haven’t actually done this, but there is a package called fast-render which has done it. Take a look at the source code there for some guidance. Most of what you need is probably in auth.js.

You haven’t specified which view layer you are using, but if it’s React then you could check out https://atmospherejs.com/communitypackages/react-router-ssr.