Starting my Journey

Hello everyone,

I begun my studies of Meteor a few months ago and I’m amazed. I’m in love with Meteor. It’s fascinating, isn’t it ? I saw several posts and I was curious about Mithril.js. I see there are people who work with it and Meteor. I would like to start studying Mithril and dig in. Can anyone give me some guidance where to start ?

2 Likes

I suggest you go with React.

5 Likes

Great ! :smiley: This tutorial has many answers for me. Thanks.
But, i really would adopt a js library which gives me simplicity, power, less code and performance. I know, it’s utopic. You get the idea. I’m not looking for a job. I love undertake ideias, create things from the scratch. To create solutions. I prefer to be a partner in businnes than an employee. I’m a C/C++ developer i’m in love with javascript. It’s really amazing, powerfull. But i have time to choose the best stack for me. Meteor is already chosen. It’s some thing we love, like a marriage (for ever and ever) :heart_eyes: . MongoDB is great and powerfull too. But i’m not seeing Blaze 2.0 coming out and i chose materialize instead bootstrap. You see ? I think Mithril could complete this. It’s really fast, very simple. At least, it’s what i’m readding about it. But it’s not my final decision. I’m looking for a framework that really complete my stack. All of them are great (Blaze, React, Angular, Vue). But i need the more “utopic” framework as possible.

PS: Sorry for my english :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rikyperdana. May you help me ?

So what you are choosing now is the front-end library/framework. There is no perfect solution. Only a good fit with what you are trying to build.

Angular gives you a framework (that is why it is so big), so you have everything you could ever need for the front-end (at least in theory).
Blaze, React and Vue just focus on displaying stuff and doing that very good, so you then need to import other packages to get everything running, but at least it is only what you need.

I haven’t worked with Mithril, I took a quick look on it and it strikes me to be like React without JSX (you also have the option to add in JSX to Mithril if you want to). So strip down version of React would obviously be smaller and faster than React if that is what you are looking for.

One other thing that you have to consider is integration with Meteor. Since Meteor is also a build tool that becomes quiet important and then also is the integration with things like pub/sub which things like React and Angular have already figured out. With Mihtril you have to do that yourself. So that is where the recommendation to use package like React comes from.

I think you will be very happy with Meteor’s default library, Blaze.

DiscoverMeteor.com is a great starter guide for Meteor, and now it is free :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very interesting :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Great points: JSX with Mithril and integration by hand. I took note. Make all that stuff work well together… but even smaller and faster… great idea ! :wink: I like that :slight_smile: Thanks !

Yeah, I really like Blaze. Very simple, very easy. But, I saw many reports about it’s performance. :confused: I think it’s time to come the version 2.0. Blaze still has the majority (I saw a post here in forum with the statistics, about 50%, I guess). I think, after Vue, React and Angular, Blaze 2.0 would come with light performance, less methods but the same interface, same idea. If this happens, definitly I chose Blaze. But…

Oh, by the way, I’m using msavin:mongol package all the time. Great package ! It’s helping me a lot ! :smile:

2 Likes

Glad you like it :slight_smile:

I really don’t get the issue with Blaze and performance. There could be a problem when reactivity is handled poorly - but it can be dealt with by not dealing with reactivity poorly :smiley:

I’m doing some weird stuff right now, and I needed to run a few functions after some elements have completed rendering. The function runs 50ms after the reactive data source changes, and that has been enough for the UI to update and all. That’s quick enough if you ask me :slight_smile:

Blaze is pretty smart in how it re-renders things, and so long as you do not need to update 1000 DOM elements in a second, it should be fine.

2 Likes

Blaze without reactivity has a better performance ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@msavin, tell me what you think about this post.

I also love meteor. I’ve found this framework is as opinionated as you wanted it to be and as flexible as you also want it to be.

I also love simplicity when creating apps and also the power that something like meteor gives you out of the box.

My chosen stack was a few months ago:
Meteor+ReactJs+ant.design

1 Like

Glad you asked. Come and see some of my latest works which heavily utilize mithril, livescript and functional programming on my GitHub. You’ll find boilerplate, reverse engineered autoform for mithril, and also Bulma templates recreated with mithril. Sure, I’ve used React and Vue for some time ago. But once I met mithril, I know it’s where I’m going to stay in this virtual Dom era.

1 Like

Great stack ! :smiley: Very well chosen. Ant.Design is a very good framework ! I’ve never heard about it :frowning: I think it’s a great candidate for meteor package. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Who know ? Some one read this post and make an Atn.Design package for Meteor… :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah, great ! :slight_smile: I’ll see everyone of them :wink: . As a beginner, do you think is a good idea start at mithril.js.org ?

Sure, I’ve been there before for so many times. It’s a great place to learn all the api mithril has. And my repos are proofs that meteor and mithril are fit together https://github.com/rikyperdana/mithril