The Principles of Meteor

Continuing the discussion from Meteor website is awful:

I do think that’s kinda sad - the original tenets being relegated to a handful of bullet points.

Having some solid principles is a good thing - and they should be front and center!

I’m starting this thread to see if we can get a new set for Apollo’s debut.

Here’s what I’ve got:

1. Write less, do more.
  2. Data anywhere.
  3. One language.
  4. Enhance the ecosystem.
  5. Rational reactivity.
4 Likes

How about adding ‘pluggable architecture’ to the list? Meaning you can use Spacebars or Jade, Angular or React etc.

Is that more like an implementation feature of write less, do more?

I may have misunderstood write less, do more. For me, it means less boilerplate, more magic under the hood.

Pluggable architecture means you can choose from multiple templating engines, multiple database engines (well, maybe not yet, but you get the idea) etc.

I agree. Not to be too harsh, but it does seem like principles are being abandoned. Or, rather, principles that don’t align with being a hosting company are being abandoned. Which is understandable, but is sad nonetheless.

We have a Vision Statement page on the Clinical Meteor page, and I think the following principles will go up there:

• The Verified and Validated principle being #2 speaks to the importance of testing, quality assurance, and continuous integration/deployment.
  • Follow the Ecosystem speaks to implementing technologies after they have been proven, and via a change control process; rather than being a playground of latest technologies.
  • Standards Compliance speaks to focusing efforts on standards from bodies like W3C, HL7, and others, rather than following corporate initiatives, trends, and fads.
  • Isomorphism Equals Productvity speaks to API design, and where to devote resources standardizing libraries to make a .Net like experience.
  • Ergonomic Design speaks to giving due consideration to human elements, and not focusing simply on traditional web sites, but incorporating things like voice recognition and gesture control into the core distro.
5 Likes