This will make you appreciate Meteor - guaranteed

This thread is getting crucified on HackerNews lol.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11778663

In this article I’m 30 screens down (literally 30 page down presses) and it’s not even finished setting up the environment and dependencies.

Meanwhile here we are meteor create startup-unicorn and working on stuff that matters, not wiring up Webpack for the fifth day straight.

Thanks MDG! :smiley:

10 Likes

Are you sure fullstackreact.com isn’t owned by MDG Inc., and that this isn’t all an elaborate hoax aimed at making sure we never ever want to leave Meteor land? If so, well, it worked … :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hah!

I’ve got a skewed outlook on this though.

Meteor is my first and only experience in the javascript world.
All web dev I’ve done before is PHP/Java Web.

I keep telling myself, ‘go learn how to build a full react+redux+webpack+whatever application’ - but then I start a new meteor project and I’m able to start coding instantly… It’s pretty incredible, but I feel like I’m spoiled.

It’s alright, no need to punish yourself with lesser tools. :wink:

…coupled with what Apollo will enable… the most exciting thing ive seen since, well, Meteor :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want even more amusement, go check out the Webpack documentation. And then, read the comments on said documentation. :wink:

4 Likes

Agreed - this is one of my favorite comments:

I dont understand what it does, how can I quickly use it

5 Likes

Curious, which comment do you mean? I don’t get it

The webpack documentation comments (they’re using Disqus on each documentation page).

Oh haha

Not to bother to scroll down

LOL, why did they make things so god damn difficult to set up in the name of configurability?

The sane thing to do would be for them to set everything up with sane defaults for 90% of the user’s who really only need default settings.

I see a fair amount of popular tools like this: over-engineered, overly complex, and poorly documented. No doubt Webpack is powerful, but it sure wasn’t designed with simplicity in mind!

2 Likes

Instead of Webpack, I encourage people to try Brunch. I even wrote an article about it: The Zero Config Javascript Build Tool

A lot of times, when I don’t need the backend, I would build the entire frontend in Brunch, and then port everything to Meteor afterwards when we determine that a backend is needed.

1 Like

Webpack, Gulp, Grunt or Meteor CLI, all do the same thing. That tutorial was explicit in stating that they would configure Webpack from scratch to teach how it works. It’s standard to just use a boilerplate Webpack config and its just as fast to start a project as any other build tool. For React I prefer Gulp+Browserfiy, to each their own.