Transitioning to React with Meteor from Angular-Meteor

I’ve been using Angular-Meteor (yes, as in angular 1) for the last couple of years and with an accelerated transition of the open source community to Angular2 (or is it 4 now?) I’m starting to feel the pressure to come up with a relatively future-proof vision of where I’m going to take my projects.

It seems like React is quickly becoming the new standard for web development for a multitude of really good reasons, mainly spearheading the component-driven design paradigm that’s swept the JS world. I’ve done several tutorials, and I think I like it much better than Angular2. The barrier to entry feels lower, and frankly, React feels like it would far be more stable from a maintainability perspective. Early angular-meteor implementations were constantly in flux, not to mention Angular2 leans heavily towards Typescript. Angular2-meteor is no exception to that.

However, I also have concerns as to it’s capabilities when compared to Angular, and how well they translate into the Meteor ecosystem. For example, does React with Meteor have the ease of data binding reactive variables and subscriptions to the scope that Angular does?

Is there a quick explanation that anyone can offer regarding options of frameworks and design principles to pair with the Meteor environment? The documentation is extensive for all these frameworks, and it’s not immediately apparent what the best choices would be.

1 Like

You can use the ViewModel version for React to get any Angular-style binding features that are not available in React by default.

https://viewmodel.org/react#IntroductionQuickAnswers

1 Like