Twilight years of Javascript?

“I will disagree with the whole Javascript thing and I’ll tell you why.” . . .

Quora.com :
What Is The Most Valuable Programming Language To Know For The Future And Why?

From the answer:

It’s not efficient, even though the Javascript engines have
progressed (looking at V8, SpiderMonkey, Nitro etc), it’s just behind.
This is the reason why Google came out with Dart and tried to offer
alternatives to Javascript, why Microsoft introduced Typescript etc.

This extract just demolishes all argumentation made in the answer as it clearly shows that the person that wrote it doesn’t realize this argument is completely invalid. IMHO

Of course JS has flaws and the multitude of pre processors/compilers shows just that. But to say JS is behind in speed so they made these languages to replace JS makes no sense at all.

1 Like

Also, Typescript is javascript.

This is exactly why this “article” is not making any sense.

As was JScript !! :laughing:

Parts of it don’t make sense. Other parts might seem true if your radar hasn’t caught Meteor yet.

I posted the link exactly because Meteor belies some of his more sensible reasons, and because it’s a Forbes mag story now.

The next generation and revolution we are witnessing is the Internet of Things and interconnectivity of the devices (namely Android but as well as iOS and possibly Windows type of OS for mobile/devices – but that’s yet to be seen)

This guy is pretty far behind the curve… that was the LAST generation. That was like 2006-2008. That started when I was still in high school, where most casual computer users migrated away from full computers to just using phones for most tasks.

While Javascript might “exist” as long as web exists, the web/browser is dying.

I don’t really think so… the whole appeal of the web and browser is that it simplifies a lot of common programming cases down and provides a layer where so much of the functionality is provided. Most people don’t want to get into OpenGL or DirectX to make a decently appealing interface.

This is the reason why Google came out with Dart and tried to offer alternatives to Javascript, why Microsoft introduced Typescript

I think mentioning Google’s heavy investment in JavaScript, including the V8 engine and Angular, only works to prove how big companies realize the value of javascript.

Java has a new revolution

Aaand legitimacy lost. Anyone remember when everyone was doing everything with java? Someone even tried to make an operating system and a web browser with Java, both of which are not used at all today.

Just on a personal note, Java is probably my absolute least liked language. Java may be efficient but it completely forces you to follow its rigid conventions, which makes it undesirable imho.

Yeah, and evidently the guy doesn’t have Cordova on his radar either, unless he is lumping it in with, “It’s not efficient, even though the Javascript engines have progressed (looking at V8, SpiderMonkey, Nitro etc), it’s just behind.”