Unable to send ajax requests on Android *only*

I’ve got several meteor apps that heavily rely on ajax get requests. At some point, one of these apps stopped being able to send ajax get requests, on recent versions of Android, only.
The same app works in the browser, on iOS, and on older versions of Android. (Or rather, on a Fire tablet.) So, I take this to mean this is not a CORS issue.
Other apps, using the same code, are not affected, on any platform.

It appears to me that Android is blocking the requests, and I don’t understand how to make this work.

This is an example request:

$.ajax({
    type: "GET",
    traditional: true,
    url: url,
    contentType: 'application/json; charset=utf-8',
    dataType: "json",
    data: {},
    success: function (result) {
    },
    error: function (xhr) {
	var propValue;
	for(var propName in xhr) {
	    propValue = xhr[propName]

$("#log").prepend(propName + ": " + propValue + "<br />");
	}

}
});

This is the output:

statusText: error
responseText:
error: function(){return o&&(n&&!t&&(s=o.length-1,a.push(n)),function t(n){p.each(n,(function(n,r){p.isFunction®?e.unique&&l.has®||o.push®:r&&r.length&&“string”!==p.type®&&t®}))}(arguments),n&&!t&&u()),this}
success: function(){return o&&(n&&!t&&(s=o.length-1,a.push(n)),function t(n){p.each(n,(function(n,r){p.isFunction®?e.unique&&l.has®||o.push®:r&&r.length&&“string”!==p.type®&&t®}))}(arguments),n&&!t&&u()),this}
complete: function(){return o&&(n&&!t&&(s=o.length-1,a.push(n)),function t(n){p.each(n,(function(n,r){p.isFunction®?e.unique&&l.has®||o.push®:r&&r.length&&“string”!==p.type®&&t®}))}(arguments),n&&!t&&u()),this}
progress: function(){return o&&(n&&!t&&(s=o.length-1,a.push(n)),function t(n){p.each(n,(function(n,r){p.isFunction®?e.unique&&l.has®||o.push®:r&&r.length&&“string”!==p.type®&&t®}))}(arguments),n&&!t&&u()),this}
fail: function(){return o&&(n&&!t&&(s=o.length-1,a.push(n)),function t(n){p.each(n,(function(n,r){p.isFunction®?e.unique&&l.has®||o.push®:r&&r.length&&“string”!==p.type®&&t®}))}(arguments),n&&!t&&u()),this}
done: function(){return o&&(n&&!t&&(s=o.length-1,a.push(n)),function t(n){p.each(n,(function(n,r){p.isFunction®?e.unique&&l.has®||o.push®:r&&r.length&&“string”!==p.type®&&t®}))}(arguments),n&&!t&&u()),this}
pipe: function(){var e=arguments; return p.Deferred((function(n){p.each(t,(function(t,o){var a=p.isFunction(e[t])&&e[t]; i[o[1]]((function(){var e=a&&a.apply(this,arguments); e&&p.isFunction(e.promise)?e.promise().progress(n.notify).done(n.resolve).fail(n.reject):no[0]+“With”}))})),e=null})).promise()} promise: function(e){return null!=e?p.extend(e,r):r}
then: function(){var e=arguments; return p.Deferred((function(n){p.each(t,(function(t,o){var a=p.isFunction(e[t])&&e[t]; i[o[1]]((function(){var e=a&&a.apply(this,arguments); e&&p.isFunction(e.promise)?e.promise().progress(n.notify).done(n.resolve).fail(n.reject):no[0]+“With”}))})),e=null})).promise()}
always: function(){return i.done(arguments).fail(arguments),this}
state: function(){return n}
abort: function(e){var t=e||w; return l&&l.abort(t),C(0,t),this}
statusCode: function(e){var t; if(e)if(b<2)for(t in e)v[t]=[v[t],e[t]]; else T.always(e[T.status]); return this}
overrideMimeType: function(e){return b||(f.mimeType=e),this}
setRequestHeader: function(e,t){var n=e.toLowerCase(); return b||(e=x[n]=x[n]||e,y[e]=t),this}
getAllResponseHeaders: function(){return 2===b?a:null}
getResponseHeader: function(e){var t; if(2===b){if(!c)for(c={}; t=Pt.exec(a); )c[t[1].toLowerCase()]=t[2]; t=c[e.toLowerCase()]}return null==t?null:t}
readyState: 0

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Well, that was painfully simple: Never versions of Android refuse connections to external services over http. It needs to be https.