Understanding Meteor Package system

Hi Everyone,

I am new to meteor and great to see such a vibrant Meteor community. Can anyone, help me understand how meteor Package system works in a simpler way, I couldn’t understand much from meteor docs.

I know how to create a new package and submit it to Atmosphere. What happens after this process ?
When I add meteor add package, where all package files are loaded ? I checked .meteor/local/build/programs/
server and web.browser directories. I just found few files in packages directory. How can I see complete files ? Where are template files of packages ? I couldn’t find any one of them and what’s the process, If I want to change any package file ?

Thanks
Htvanj

Welcome to the Meteor community :slight_smile:

AFAICT:

I know how to create a new package and submit it to Atmosphere.

Packages are submitted to Meteor’s Packaging Server, not Atmosphere. Atmosphere simply provides a user interface for searching through the system using the Package Server API.

Meteor Isobuild is a complete toolchain for building an app from its source code into a set of runnable programs. As part of that toolchain, we run the Meteor Packaging Server, which stores Meteor packages that have been published with meteor publish and keeps track of their usage.
https://github.com/meteor/meteor/wiki/Meteor-Package-Server-API

What happens after this process ? When I add meteor add package, where all package files are loaded ? How can I see complete files ?

I assume the packages go through a build process to minify the files which is why you only get a few files when you pull them into your project.

Most packages are available on GitHub and should be cloned into your packages folder if you want to use/edit them locally. (If the repo URL was added to the package.js file, the link should appear on it’s Atmosphere page.)

Then you can meteor add to include them in your project

Where are template files of packages ?

Check this directory: \.meteor\local\build\programs\server\assets\packages

Hi TwinTails,

Thanks for the information. Your reply helped me to understand few concepts of Meteor Packaging system and I am learning more about Meteor and Meteor packaging system. I couldn’t find all templates at path
.meteor\local\build\programs\server\assets\packages, well may be its my lack of understanding, I am working on it to find out all missing information.

Thanks

1 Like