[ Update: Delivered! ] Fundraiser: Would you help finance a plugin that would allow MUP (Meteor UP) to deploy AWS?

I tried making a one time donation of $ 100, but it seems to set it to a monthly subscription…
(I’ve sent a support request to opencollective.com )

Edit: It seems like I was running into a bug, the kind folks of opencollective fixed it. Donated $100! yeey! We’re at $736

1 Like

Use this link to make a one time donation. https://opencollective.com/meteor-up/donate

1 Like

I’ve added my 100$ donation!

3 Likes

I’ve added $100 donation! (as Asmakam)

2 Likes

BTW, ups to @msavin for encouraging people to charge appropriately for their work while also providing extremely solid reasoning to do so. Aspirations can only take a project so far, the majority of developers are living hand-to-mouth like everyone else and projects that don’t pay, or support a project that pays, typically die a slow painful death-by-backlog due to neglect.

2 Likes

Hello friends!

Apologies for the late update.

Very nice to see the additional donations that have come in.

The current status is: $ 675 of $ 850

@nadeemjq, $ 125
@sacha, $ 100,
@diaconutheodor, $ 50
@batist, $100
@alawi, $100
@asmakam, $100
Carsten Mayer, $ 100

This is counting only the people who have notified here or on github.
There are more $ 100 sized donations. Please me know if you have donated! :slight_smile:

Counting all > $ 50 donations, we are at $ 825.

I’ve asked @zodern if it is okay to count all donations above $ 50.

The plan that @zodern has laid out is the following:

I will start work on the plugin on Monday, November 5th. It will be finished between Nov 20 and Nov 24.

I will work on the plugin in a private repository on GitHub. When it is ready, I will invite you and the other people who sponsored it to review the plugin and try it.

~ Email correspondance.

I’m so impressed by how the Meteor Community came together on this.
Thanks to everyone who has participated!

Regards,

Nadeem J. Qureshi

8 Likes

That’s awesome! Definitely a nice story of the community coming together.

5 Likes

I just gave away my Meteor deployment script. Enjoy.

4 Likes

Any updates on this?

It is now public!

Docs at: https://github.com/zodern/mup-aws-beanstalk/blob/master/docs/index.md
Install with npm i -g mup-aws-beanstalk

Thank you to all who donated toward this plugin!

17 Likes

That’s awesome.

It would be really great if we had LTS. I imagine that companies (or individuals) could contribute per month to have support and possibly new features.

And now that it’s done the first version, we can aim higher, just like @msavin stated.

I’ve missed this fundraiser (just saw it now), but you can count me in on future ones, because specially for a company, to make sure that at least new Meteor versions are supported within a sensible timeframe is very important.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great new addition! I tried it out and have a few issues -

• health check path /aws-health-check-3984729847289743128904723. ELB fails all health checks and instance is set to degraded/severe. I saw health-check.js which is supposed to run on that path and ping the app, I don’t know why it didn’t work.

• Node version is set to 6, but I see an install failure

Env Event: [Instance: i-0b06593fdcdbad37f] Command failed on instance. Return code: 1 Output: (TRUNCATED).../opt/elasticbeanstalk/containerfiles/ebnode.py", line 180, in npm_install
    raise e
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['/opt/elasticbeanstalk/node-install/node-v6.11.5-linux-x64/bin/npm', '--production', 'install']' returned non-zero exit status 1. 
Hook /opt/elasticbeanstalk/hooks/appdeploy/pre/50npm.sh failed.

For Meteor 1.6 apps I am using Node 8.9.3 successfully.

• “Load balancing is automatically configured and supports web sockets and sticky sessions.” I saw that in the target group which is created, Stickiness is set to false.

• If I already have an ACM cert, is there a way to use it, or can I just specify ssl and it will use it if it finds it for the domain?

• does the ROOT_URL specified in mup.js automatically map to the EB app domain? If not I can add a mapping in my dns, but I am using Route53 and if there’s a way it would be nice.

My app is a 1.6 Meteor app, I am using a simple mup.js as recommended in the docs, without ssl.

edit - output of ‘mup beanstalk logs’

=> Requesting Logs
=> Downloading Logs
i-0ce7268504cb4b53b nodejs/npm-debug.log
-------------------------------------
0 info it worked if it ends with ok
1 verbose cli [ '/opt/elasticbeanstalk/node-install/node-v6.11.5-linux-x64/bin/node',
1 verbose cli   '/opt/elasticbeanstalk/node-install/node-v6.11.5-linux-x64/bin/npm',
1 verbose cli   '--production',
1 verbose cli   'install' ]
2 info using npm@3.10.10
3 info using node@v6.11.5

After this there are a bunch of node/npm errors in logs and eb-logs

Please create the issue inside Github

1 Like

Nice work.

We’re still using Galaxy but we’re tempted to move away and a tool like this would certainly help. We’d be interested in sponsoring continued development as well.

Is anyone else willing to invest more into development of this, fixing the rest of the issues, etc ? I would be willing to put $200 into this.

1 Like

I’m good for 200 as well, I assume its US

Yes, same. I’ve been doing a little modifications in a fork but it would be nice with a more concerted effort. This tool is so great it deserves more attention than it has right now. I also tried to reach out by email, but got no reply.

Yeah, we’d be good for $200 too. We’ve got both projects on ELB now but not using MUP at the moment.

1 Like

$200 from us as well.

Nice! @zodern are you still up for this challenge ?