Updated Tutorials?

Hi there,

I’m very new when it comes to Meteor and thought I would go thru the tutorial on the website: https://www.meteor.com/tutorials/blaze/creating-an-app

Is this tutorial out of date? I followed the first page, but noticed the file structure is different as well as the commands needed to be run “meteor npm install”. I know that 1.3 just was released but this seemed to happen on the 1.2 version as well.

Is there another link to an updated tutorial for Meteor / Blaze?

Thanks!
T

You should probably look at http://guide.meteor.com

LevelUpTuts has a great Meteor 1.3 YouTube tutorial series, but it’s React.

On the contrary, the tutorial is up-to-date (especially the meteor npm install bit) – perhaps you were running the 1.2 version of the meteor tool if the file structure is different?

Try running meteor --version to check you are on 1.3…

Hi,

I have installed Meteor 1.3, but have run into some difficulty with the tutorial on the first page:

after I enter> meteor npm install

the installation executes without error, but when I

enter> meteor

this is the output -
[[[[[ C:\development\Meteor\simple-todos ]]]]]

=> Started proxy.
=> Started MongoDB.
=> Errors prevented startup:

While loading plugin compileTemplatesBatch from package templating:
module.js:338:15: Cannot find module '…/modules/es6.object.get-own-property-descriptor’
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:338:15)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:280:25)
at Module.require (module.js:364:17)
at require (module.js:380:17)
at Object.
(C:\Users\user\AppData\Local.meteor\packages\templating\1.1.7\plugin.compileTemplatesBatch.os\npm\node_modules\meteo
r\ecmascript-runtime\node_modules\meteor\ecmascript-runtime\node_modules\meteor-ecmascript-runtime\node_modules\core-js
es6\object.js:12:1)
at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:474:10)
at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
at Object.
(C:\Users\user\AppData\Local.meteor\packages\templating\1.1.7\plugin.compileTemplatesBatch.os\npm\node_modules\meteo
r\ecmascript-runtime\node_modules\meteor\ecmascript-runtime\node_modules\meteor-ecmascript-runtime\server.js:1:1)
at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:474:10)
at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
at npmRequire (C:\tools\isobuild\bundler.js:1665:14)
at Module.useNode (packages/modules-runtime.js:453:20)
at fileEvaluate (packages/modules-runtime.js:157:20)
at require (packages/modules-runtime.js:92:16)
at meteorInstall.node_modules.meteor.ecmascript-runtime.runtime.js (packages/ecmascript-runtime.js:24:18)
at fileEvaluate (packages/modules-runtime.js:158:9)
at require (packages/modules-runtime.js:92:16)
at packages/ecmascript-runtime.js:2832:15
at packages/ecmascript-runtime.js:2845:3

=> Your application has errors. Waiting for file change.

:frowning:

You should also read the first sections of the the Meteor Guide before proceeding to the tutorial. You’ll find out that 1.3 embraces ES6 and you’ll see a lot of differences from 1.2 to 1.3 for that very reason. The best practices section on structure is pretty important too as it is contrary to the wide open way you could put anything anywhere in 1.2.

I think I had some errant files from a previous version, I’m guessing a year ago.

Ran:

sudo rm /usr/local/bin/meteor
rm -rf ~/.meteor

And reinstalled. Everything appears to show properly based on the tutorial.

I tried a fresh install of Meteor 1.3 on a different (Windows 7) machine.

I got exactly the same error messages.

Methinks that this “plugin compileTemplatesBatch from package templating” is broken in the Windows installation.

I just started the basic tutorial with Blaze, and was not even able to get thru page 2 without it seeming like the tutorial is outdated and not working. After creating a basic meteor app (simple-todos), the tutorial says replace old code with new code. But it seems that perhaps some of the old code is required that the tutorial does not account for. Is this because Meteor has changed since the tutorial was made?

https://www.meteor.com/tutorials/blaze/templates

I am using most recent version of Meteor (1.4.1)

Strange that a basic tutorial directly accessible from Meteor home page would be so out of date … (?)

Where is a good and basic tutorial I can follow that adheres to current version?

Is the guide up-to-date? Or will I run into basic issues there also?

try this one www.meteor-tuts.com

1 Like

cool thanks @diaconutheodor - i’ll check it out.

looking at it now, one question: in both the Meteor website Blaze tutorial, and the tutorial at meteor-tuts, using “imports/ui” in the directory seems to be assumed. But whenever I install a new Meteor app, the imports directory is not included. This confuses me. Is it just that I have to add the new directories, or is something going wrong with my install?