Updating from Meteor 1.6

I have an old project running on Meteor 1.6. I once started upgrading it to a more modern Meteor, but the project got canceled. Now it is un-canceled…

It is a horror for many reasons:

1. It uses iron:router and it is not compatible with Meteor 2.3
  2. It does not use ‘import’, so all templates are automatically imported
    3-999: TBA

So, first of all: Is it possible to get the iron router to work without breaking everything?

Second: Is it still possible to get all things auto-imported, like in the good old days?
I did some tests with a new project and it did not recognize anything that was not imported.

Third: Any general hints for how to do this? It is a huuuge project with almost 1000 files, 3rd party packages and modules excluded.

Thankful for any help and tips

1. It uses iron:router and it is not compatible with Meteor 2.3

Simply fork the package locally into packages directory and modify versionsFrom

1. It does not use ‘import’, so all templates are automatically imported
    3-999: TBA

Files are eagerly loaded when they’re out of imports directory and this behavior is still preserved by the latest Meteor releases, so no worries here.

Second: Is it still possible to get all things auto-imported, like in the good old days?
I did some tests with a new project and it did not recognize anything that was not imported.

You’d need to supply a mini repository to verify this claim, but I reckon this is due the new app skeleton and how it’s configured.

1 Like

Fork it… of course. Thank you!

I’ll make a mini-repo for the import test

Having a meteor.mainModule key in package.json will change this behavior so that eager loading is disabled for the project.

1 Like

Thanks @copleykj , that was the case.