šŸš¦ TRANSMISSION #6: Meteor Repo decoupling, Community member core maintainers, 1.3 Modules & Webpack 2.0

@benjamn thoughts on making it a package?

1 Like

Well right now you can do skip imports out of the box in Meteor 1.3, so maybe in 1.4 we can make it a removable package? For NPM, I donā€™t know how autoimport would work with NPM though since NPM is totally build around imports.

1 Like

I really like the idea of having packages expose the ā€œold waysā€ if it would allow you to take it easier on backwards compatability, and move forward faster

3 Likes

Perhaps you guys (or someone) should write an article (or talk about it in the podcast) about the value on importing everything (if one doesnā€™t already exist). Eventually itā€™s gonna have to be addressed because a lot of people in the Meteor community have been so accustomed to using globals so conveniently.

5 Likes

Sounds like a great blog post to go out around the 1.3 release!

6 Likes

Transmission #6 if live! https://transmission.simplecast.fm/6

SPECIAL EDITION with @sashko @debergalis @benjamn

90 minutes of awesomeness! In this show Sashko and I are joined by Meteor Co-Founder Matt DeBergalis and Core Developer Ben Newman. It is long but I could not bear to cut any of it and I think you will agree, enjoy!

[ first 50 minutes ] Matt DeBergalis discusses Meteor the OSS project. Listen close as Matt shares why Meteor is blazing a new path for software developers and new plans to include the community more into the Meteor GitHub repo. << Big stuff !!

[ last 30 minutes ] Ben Newman discusses all things Meteor 1.3, including the JS Modules, Testing vs Velocity, Webpack 2.0, Hot-Module Reload, Code Splitting, and Rollup.js. Ben goes into amazing details explaining the how and why of it all, truly amazing (both the talk and his intellect).

Full-length video to be released tomorrow on youtube.

14 Likes

Looks like all-round awesomeness is happening in the transmission :-))

2 Likes

Iā€™m relieved that you guys are not focusing on RN. It is doable already to build a Meteor app in RN. If anything, breaking out livedata and all the accounts into NPM packages would be more than enough to make it easier to build meteor RN apps.

1 Like

Just a quick question @sashko, is there somewhere that we can comment on the contents of the guide? Perhaps highlight any missing areas, gotchas, etc.?

For example: in the methods section, you suggest using mdg:validated-method but there is an issue if you have a method that takes no parameters at all, if you simply call Collection.methods.methodName.call() it will error. As the validator validate: new SimpleSchema({}).validator(), still requires an object.

Please file an issue on github!

Okay, in this particular instance itā€™s an issue with a package that has a GitHub repo, but what about other issues?

EDIT: And done, https://github.com/meteor/validated-method/issues/39

@Siyfion I think @sashko was referring to the github for the Guide itself. The 1.3 guide repo is here: https://github.com/meteor/guide/tree/version-1.3

1 Like

Whoops! My bad! :blush: Iā€™m glad to see it has a repo though, thatā€™s exactly what I was looking for. :smiley:

1 Like

This works great for migrating browserify.js global exports to 1.3 as well :thumbsup:

Not to beat a dead horse but one of the pros with using imports is seeing where that module is defined and how many dependancies a certain module has (if youā€™re importing a lot in one file it could be a code smell).

2 Likes

Has anyone listened to transmission #6? It only says that there were 35 clicks on Benā€™s link, unless simplecastā€™s stats say otherwise?

I have, it was great! Iā€™m subscribed to the podcast feed, so I didnā€™t need to click Benā€™s link.

1 Like

ā€¦iTunes Podcastā€¦

2 Likes

Show 6 has hit some new records for us. After about 42 hours of release there has been 1,326 listens on show 6ā€™s podcast.

8 Likes

I was just curious because there just didnā€™t seem to be a whole lot of feedback here. :shrug:

Feedback - can you put the shownotes in the podcast feed so I donā€™t have to Google for the episode on your blog to get to the links.

Not listened to this one yet, Iā€™ve got 24hours worth of podcasts in my feed, I can never catch up ahhh.

2 Likes