Virtualbox + Meteor/mongo = File Permission Error

I am developing on Windows 10, but running Meteor 1.4.3 on a VM (Ubuntu), with a Shared Folder between the Win10 Host and Ubuntu Guest.

I prefer running the development build on Linux - is faster and smoother than on Windows.

However when running “meteor run” I get the following error which is due to file permissions. Has anyone dealt with this and know a way round it. Virtualbox automounts the shared drive on to Ubuntu in “/media”, with Owner Root and Group Vboxsf. I have added the ubuntu user to the vboxsf group.

Error :

=> Started proxy.
=> A patch (Meteor 1.4.2.3) for your current release is available!
   Update this project now with 'meteor update --patch'.
Unexpected mongo exit code 100. Restarting.
Can't start Mongo server.
MongoDB had an unspecified uncaught exception.
This can be caused by MongoDB being unable to write to a local database.
Check that you have permissions to write to .meteor/local. MongoDB does
not support filesystems like NFS that do not allow file locking.

Thank You

I think I remember running into this. From what I recall, it has to do with the filesystem which is used for shared folders - it’s not the normal filesystem.

I couldn’t find a way around that, however, I then simply used a network share using Samba.

I added these two lines into /etc/samba/samba.conf as a quick’n’dirty solution:

force user = username
force group = username

to avoid file permission issues due to the owner of new files being none:none or somesuch.

I then created the network share through:

net usershare add share_name /home/user/somefolder "Share description" everyone:F guest_ok=y

I wouldn’t use that solution for anything but a private developer VM, though.

@andyl i highly recommend using Docker for Windows in development instead of using a VM

Regarding your problem… If you run your app on a shared folder then use the internal Meteor Mongo then you will get this error… Try running a different instance of Mongodb then link it to your app in your environment settings…

From what I read and experienced MONGODB can’t run on a shared folder between a windows and linux , as you will always get an error… In fact this is also true even if you will use the recently launched Windows bash