Webpack compiler inside Meteor (ES6 modules, hot reload and code splitting!)

Here are the errors Iā€™m getting in the console:

Warning: React.createElement: type should not be null, undefined, boolean, or number. It should be a string (for DOM elements) or a ReactClass (for composite components).
and
Uncaught Error: Invariant Violation: Element type is invalid: expected a string (for built-in components) or a class/function (for composite components) but got: object.

So, my routes work when I import the components using es6 import at the top of my file. If I donā€™t use import and use let Component = require(ā€˜path/to/fileā€™) instead to import my components, it does not work and spits out those same errors. So, I actually think itā€™s not necessarily the code splitting that is broken, but with importing a component with require.

This is because since Babel 6, the default export is on .default. The import use it automatically but not the require.

You have to do:

require('module').default

It should work

1 Like

i have tried Meteor + Webpack for 1 week:

• Itā€™s freedom to use ES6 and npm module and nodejs style
  • Building code faster
  • reuse both package system: npm and meteor package

and much more. I tried meteor 1.3 beta too. itā€™s future but i have issues about install npm module that not specific to web browser.

I have just created an account only to tell @benoitt : thanks for your great work !

1 Like

Haha thank you. Stay tune for a huge improvement on the upcoming 1.0 release (in about 2 weeks) :smile:

9 Likes

I wait for your release with the same enthusiasm I used to have for Meteor releases.

2 Likes

What a great project :smile:

I have a few questions:

• What are the known drawbacks of using this approach instead of Meteor 1.3?
  • Are there any more benefits than hot-reload in development, working SSR and code splitting (compared to Meteor 1.3)?
  • Does the hot-code-push still work in Cordova?
  • How does code splitting works in Cordova? Does it store the lazy required modules like the Meteor normal html, css y js and they work even if the user opens the app without connection or those lazy required modules are always send over the net and require connection?
  • What do we expect on the 1.0 release!?!?

Thanks!

This seems like a good explanation:
forums.meteor.com/t/why-is-the-meteor-install-1-3-api-better-than-webpack-in-meteor/14480/3

And this:
forums.meteor.com/t/why-is-the-meteor-install-1-3-api-better-than-webpack-in-meteor/14480/24

Still want to know more about the other questions :sweat_smile:

@benoitt I added webpack-font-awesome npm package and it works on development environment, but when I try to build for production I get the following error saying that window is not defined. Iā€™ve also tried removing the font-awesome package, but I still get this issue. Is there some webpack cache somewhere that I need to clear? Any thoughts?

=> Exited with code: 8
W20160203-21:39:32.902(-5)? (STDERR)
W20160203-21:39:32.903(-5)? (STDERR) C:\Users\panw\AppData\Local\.meteor\packages\meteor-tool\1.1.10\mt-os.windows.x86_32\dev_bundle\server-lib\node_modules\fibers\future.js:245
W20160203-21:39:32.904(-5)? (STDERR)                                            throw(ex);
W20160203-21:39:32.904(-5)? (STDERR)                                                  ^
W20160203-21:39:32.904(-5)? (STDERR) ReferenceError: window is not defined

Someone succeed into having LESS or Stylus integrated with Webpack?

You need stylus-loader usage like:

(...)
cssLoader = 'style!css!stylus-loader'; 
{
  test: /\.styl$/,
  loader: cssLoader
}
(...)

or with css modules like:

(...)
cssLoader = 'style!css?modules&importLoaders=1&localIdentName=[name]__[local]__[hash:base64:5]!stylus-loader'; 
{
}
(...)

you can add stylus plugins in your webpack conf by:

(...)
stylus: function () {
  return [sGrid, Rupture]
}
(...)

you can even add postcss loader and use it like:

(...)
cssLoader = 'style!css?modules&importLoaders=1&localIdentName=[name]__[local]__[hash:base64:5]!postcss!stylus-loader'; 
{
}
(...)
stylus: function () {
  return [sGrid, Rupture]
},
postcss: function () {
  return [autoprefixer];
}
2 Likes

@juliancwirko Super nice. It works like a charm. I was piping ā€˜stylusā€™ instead of ā€˜stylus-loaderā€™. Your sample set me on the right track. Thanks!

@benoitt,
Does code splitting in webpack mean that my app is no more served as a single js file?
Iā€™d like to be able to split my app in two ā€œpartsā€:

• core meteor files, that donā€™t change and are cached on userā€™s browser
  • app-specific files, that change when I push updates for my app into production
    When user opens the app, he should only need to download the ā€œsecond partā€. Is that achievable with webpack?

Code splitting means your user donā€™t need to load your entire app as soon as he opens the first page. He can load just what he needs and request more only when he needs it.

If you want to split the code of the libraries youā€™re using vs your own, you can use a common chunk by using webpack.optimize.CommonsChunkPlugin.

You can read more on code splitting here.

1 Like

@benoitt Benoit, first of all, thanks for the great package! However, I miss the possibility to set the port through WEBPACK_PORT env variable. Could you please enable this possibility? I often run several meteor instances, so I have a script which finds free ports to run them, I would like to have the same for webpack dev server.

Hey priezz,

Most people are using the devServer port config, but I understand when you have multiple Meteor projects using a random port can be better.

Iā€™ve added the WEBPACK_PORT env var to webpack:webpack@1.0.12 :slight_smile:

WOW, you are superfast! Thanks a lot, works like a charm.

@benoitt is there an upgrade guide (or is it even necessary)? i was using this before 1.0 and am planning to update now that 1.3 is out. there is a ā€œfrom scratchā€ section, but not a upgrade one.

1 Like

@benoitt I couldnā€™t get Webpack + babel-root-slash-import running. Iā€™ve added it using NPM, then created the .babelrc file and added it as a plugin. But having it set up this way doesnā€™t change anything.

any point in having this in 1.3.1 with npm react support.