WebStorm / new pricing model

Since there’s lots of interest going around react (and some around typescript) you guys should also check this out:

Improvements in ReactJS support: better navigation and coding assistance for React-specific attributes
Now you can very quickly jump from a component usage to its definition even if it’s in a different file. Cmd-click (Ctrl-click) or hit Cmd-B (Ctrl-B) on a component name to navigate to it or hit Cmd-Y (Ctrl-Shift-I on Windows and Linux) to see a quick definition in a popup.

I think this kind of innovation and improvement is what makes a subscription model valueble to its customer.

but what makes WebStorm so “exceptional”

Key Benefits
WebStorm offers developers an intelligent code editor that truly understands the structure of code written in JavaScript, HTML or CSS, as well as their modern successors. It features the best-of-breed coding assistance for a whole set of cutting-edge web technologies, including code completion, refactorings, code formatting, on-the-fly error prevention, and much more. WebStorm is also great for developing Node.js applications. Together with integrated instruments for testing, debugging and code analysis and integration with various VCS, WebStorm is an essential tool for powerful and productive web development.

Key Features

• Intelligent JavaScript, HTML, and CSS editor with syntax highlighting, code
    completion, configurable formatting configuration, refactorings, on-the-fly
    error detection and support of language mixtures.
  • Support for a wide range of technologies: TypeScript, CoffeeScript, Dart, LESS,
    Sass, Stylus, Compass, EJS, Handlebars, Mustache, Web Components, Jade,
    Emmet, and many more.
  • Productivity-boosting Live Edit feature: See the changes in the
    browser immediately without reloading the page.
  • JavaScript debugger for Chrome and Firefox, with breakpoints, stepping,
    frames view and watchers. Full-featured debugging of TypeScript, CoffeeScript
    and Dart with sourcemaps.
  • File Watchers for automatic compilation/transpilation of higher-level
    languages like TypeScript, CoffeeScript, LESS, Sass, and Stylus.
  • A debugger for Node.js applications with the latest features of
    V8 Debugger Protocol.
  • Intelligent code inspections, one-click quick-fix suggestions, JSHint, JSLint,
    and Google Closure Linter.
  • JavaScript unit testing with integrated JSTestDriver or Karma test runner
    with code coverage.
  • Built-in HTTP Server, REST Client, Terminal and Node.js package manager npm.
  • New Project Wizard with well-known project templates like Twitter Bootstrap
    and Node.js Express App.
  • Integration with Version Control Systems including Git, Subversion, Mercurial,
    CVS, Perforce, and GitHub.
  • Easily configurable FTP/FTPS/SFTP deployment.
  • Integration with various issue trackers.

For more information see http://www.jetbrains.com/webstorm/

Full-featured debugging of TypeScript, CoffeeScript
and Dart with sourcemaps.

I’m super interested in this, but I couldn’t get Coffeescript breakpoints working for a meteor project in webstorm. Has anyone gotten this to work ?

just switch to atom.io - why does it have to be too expensive

I’m using atom.io and think it’s great, has a few packages for Meteor to boot.

I used Webstorm a few months back, just kicking the tires. Wasn’t impressed. Server ‘Debugging’ was unreliable. Customization was weak. Seemed heavy, clunky, and old.