What Hardware for Meteor Developers

Bro you can do whatever on windows 10 and ionic suggest using the Microsoft Visual Studio and I use both windows and Linux :slight_smile:

1. 4k displays are a must. If one spends a lot of hours in front of the pc, at the end of the day he will be so tired that productivity will drastically drop. High resolution displays with sharper fonts help decreasing eyes strain and cognitive fatigue

2. Avoid PWM monitors, another great source of fatigue for eyes

3. Go high with ram, especially if you have multiple monitors. Kingston value line is the best.

4. SSDs are ok, but be sure to pick NVMe SSDs

5. If you pick 4k monitors, then you need a beefier CPU and at least 32 gig of ram

Iā€™ve got a 2009 Mac Pro, not sure if it supports 4K displays. I believe I have one DVI output and one Mini-DisplayPort. Not sure what the hardware requirements for a 4K monitor is, but I have to say, once youā€™ve used a 4K/retina display, itā€™s hard to go back!

FWIW, I tried a 27" 4k and the UI was way too large to be useable. 1:1 pixels at 4k was also too small. for a 27" 5k is the sweet spot IMHO.

However, a 21" 4k is nice too!!

At any rate the retina screens are a lot easier on the eyes!! Text is super sharp.

I use a 5k iMac and wouldnā€™t go back to any other OS because thereā€™s too much to like.

• Professional build quality.
  • Unix-y enough to give me power. But not enough to make me break things. Good!
  • Meteor installs and works without any BS.
  • iOS and Android simulator on the same computer.
  • brew install x - Install whatever with one command.
  • Pretty OS. Subjective, but I like the way it looks and has sensible defaults.
  • 5k monitor. Having this much screen real estate is amazing. I can read books/docs/videos and have the code on the right or whatever.

1 Like

when I was doing consulting about this argument, we found out that apple hardware has a higher failure rate compared to similarly priced components, coming 4 times more likely to break than Asus or Lenovo. I canā€™t quote our study, but hereā€™s a similar paper

From a UX point of view I remember NNGroup highlighting how Apple make things nicer to look at, but harder to use, plus they deliberately degrade performance over time to incentivize change of hardware.

Plus hardware is much more expensive. I remember checking a monitor, and the same panel costed either 2000 euros from Apple, or 400 euros from the Korean manufacturer, without the apple brand.

If someone buys apple I generally regard him as fashion sensitive, or poorly informed about the technology he uses.

1 Like

I can only speak towards my personal experiences. Four ipads, two macbooks, and two iMacs over the years. None of them croaked for any reason.

Havenā€™t noticed this at all.[quote=ā€œmuaddib, post:46, topic:14820ā€]
Plus hardware is much more expensive. I remember checking a monitor, and the same panel costed either 2000 euros from Apple, or 400 euros from the Korean manufacturer, without the apple brand.
[/quote]

100% correct - but I donā€™t mind paying premium for stuff that doesnā€™t break on me and feels sturdy and not like a cheap plastic. (Still have nightmares about my Toshiba laptop while I was in college)