What is Meteor missing?

What, if anything, is missing from Meteor. Share your thought or ideas here…

I feel like a lot of what Meteor is missing now is starting to be resolved. Things like the data issue, slow builds, testing scene, etc.

4 Likes

Although excited to learn what people want after that!

2 Likes

More merchandise! Stickers for everyone! :slight_smile:

But other than that - Apollo beta as soon as possible. I’d be all for MDG to focus on Apollo to bring it fast just like they focused on Galaxy before.

I see Apollo as too big of a game changer to procrastinate it in order to focus of other, less crucial things.

12 Likes

I agree. getting the first version of Apollo out should be the priority. And leveraging that with React Native integration would be awesome.

9 Likes

As a starter, everything was rainbows and unicorns for me until I have to deal with reactive relational data. (Which might seem like a trivial matter for seniors and should be dealt with lower level operations.)

A short while after learning Meteor it felt like I left alone to deal with it. Of course there are some recommended solutions here and there and packages like publish-composite exists but still, I think it is discouraging for starters to face with such a problem right after starting to learn Meteor and not being able to find a solid answer. I think this an important issue and Meteor needs an dependable, easy to use, a built-in solution.

Edit: I wasn’t tracking Meteor news nowadays but I just watched a video about Apollo, and if I not misunderstood, it will gonna fix that problems i mentioned. And the more I learn about it I can see that there are more exciting stuffs waiting for us. Looks like Meteor will become a more flexible, (thus, may be more beginner-friendly) environment.

2 Likes

And that’s thankfully one of the issues Apollo will get rid of. Though personally I’m much bigger fan of denormalizing than joins and denormalizing right now is easy. :slightly_smiling:

I would really love a “Galaxy” with a hosting choice. So it would be more like an management tools where I can add my own VPS systems, manage their Meteor instances and scale/monitor my whole app (against a monthly fee, f.e. managing 3 servers á 20$ …).

I would like new patterns (meteor guide) adapted to 1.3, react, testing…
On the galaxy front, i would wish for galaxy to take care of the DB hosting part also.

4 Likes

http://guide.meteor.com/v1.3 :wink: It’s not finished yet, but still interesting.

4 Likes

Especially for developer subscriptions, this would be really useful.

Things I don’t like in meteor right now:

• Node.js version is just to old… (is scheduled for 1.3.x as far as i know)
  • There’s no official integration with web-components/polymer.
  • There’s no (unhackish)way to use web-workers. (there’s already a ticket on github)
  • If you’ve a high traffic landing page, you’re basically forced to use some 3th party tool to serve it(a lot of people use wordpress/jeykell and stuff like that).
  • The infrastructure is perfect for SPAs, but simple things like “changing the color scheme for a specific user” is basically impossible. The css combining is just to automagic for me.
  • There are a lot of really cool packages, but you have to dig trough hills of garbage to find them.

This is not meant to be a rant - just the things which came to me mind when thinking about: “what could be better”. I really love working with meteor and I’m confident that 1.3 will bring incredible improvements.

6 Likes

There are many packages at atmospherejs.com which doesn’t work or doesn’t work as they say - It will be good to have a quality check there.

1 Like

An DDP spec update that addresses streaming historical data would be awesome!

1 Like
  • continuous integration/deployment
  • isomorphic editor
  • official gridfs support
  • offline support (both network and database)
  • integrated electron/desktop builds
  • near field communications

I’ve been getting many requests for managing on-site infrastructures recently. So +1 for an enterprise version of Galaxy that can be installed on people’s Virtual Private Clouds, private datacenters, etc.

+1 for DDP improvements. At least break out the packages into their own repositories so they can be looked at independently, like Blaze?

7 Likes

I’d love to see a React Native integration in there. Would really open up a lot more things that could be built without having too many different setups.

11 Likes

I think this (or something similar) would be worth pursuing. If mdg is interested in drawing in the hobbyist/beginner crowd, then I think fs makes sense. Setting up a bucket on s3 doesn’t make sense for every project, and I think that this is one of the major hurdles that newer meteor users probably have a big issue with.

2 Likes

Not just the hobbyist/beginner crowd. Also companies involved in video editing, animation studios, audio playlists, internet radio, radiology, laboratory micrography, pathology, genomics labs, etc. etc.

4 Likes

True, I did oversimplify the group of users who could really benefit from this!

i have an idea:
can meteor simplier support with pagination ?
one sample is Laravel.
they have simple way to send pagination object from server to client.
{
totalItems: xxx,
last_page: 5,
data: [{…}]
}
and with React we can simple handle pagination component.
i think that will perfect !

Re: stickers for everyone!
Meteor Stickers: https://www.stickermule.com/user/1070686190/stickers
Apollo Stickers: https://www.stickermule.com/user/1070721789/stickers

9 Likes