What to do when Meteor reloads

Hi!

This is a very open-ended question that is framework,language,stack agnostic and not particular to Meteor.

Often times while Devving, I’ll make frequent changes in a short period of time. I have to wait for the local app to re-compile. This can take 15-20S on my machine.

I thought about having a blog open at all times, but by the time I’m a sentence through, i’m ready to test my changes.

Any insights here? Thanks!

Man, I feel your pain. This problem is the worst productivity suck. It’s so tempting to just flip over to Hacker News, “just while it’s rebuilding,” and before you know it 20 minutes have gone by.

The best advice I’ve ever received is to look over your new code while you’re waiting. The compiler doesn’t have to have finished before you can step through the code in your head. I often catch silly mistakes and unhandled edge cases this way, and sometimes think of ways to refactor the code that will make it cleaner or more efficient.

Best of all, this keeps your head in the code, and you don’t pay the HN context switching penalty.

2 Likes

Wow, that is amazing advice. Kinda like doing a pre-code-review. I will adopt it immediately. Thanks!

1 Like

With HMR I most often don’t have to wait to see the changes, but even when I have to I also go over the code, switch music track that I’m listening to or start writing a commit message in GitKraken so that I don’t forget what I have done, especially when I’m dealing with a lot of smaller bug fixes or features.

1 Like