First of all in the spirit of Thanksgiving, thanks to MDG and the community for the framework!
Lets discuss what new things people would like in Meteor, and what you don’t want to change.
Current strengths that shouldn’t change -
- above all, simplicity and ease of use. It should be the answer to JS ecosystem fatigue
- more default convention over configuration
Features already planned for 1.5 or on the roadmap
- newer version of Node
- data layer based on Apollo to support other db’s
- npm installable
Other new features I’d like
- Routing - provide a standard routing solution out of the box
- State management - Redux needs a lot of boilerplate. MobX is very similar to Tracker in spirit. MDG can and should come up with a nice solution to this, which integrates with Apollo
- Build system based on webpack - webpack is infinitely configurable (its real drawback), I want ‘meteor build’ to use all its power and do its magic, and do automatic code splitting/above the fold optimizations etc.
- Official deployment support (mup/mupx, galaxy, other hosts)
Many of these may already be in planning and I don’t know how they align with MDG priorities or if the community needs to do this.