What's blocking you from updating to Meteor 1.2?

Check out the README: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/blob/master/packages/ecmascript/README.md

Oh! Thanks, thatā€™s exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. A link to that from the Meteor docs (and the upgrading to 1.2 guide, for that matter) would be really helpful.

2 Likes

Using 1.2. Great step forward. Havenā€™t really had issues at all and we have a big app with lots of packages.

Package lag is to be expectedā€¦constraint solver helped me ā€¦Most packages are compatible but Iā€™ve had issues with fourseven sassā€¦ wish mdg gave sass the same amount of love as less and stylus. The fourseven contributors are great but slow because they other commitments

1 Like

on meteor 1.2ā€¦
I try this:

meteor create myproject
cd myproject
meteor add accounts-password
meteor

working well on localhost
then i try this.

meteor deploy [myapp].meteor.com

the deployment to meteor.com failed. but if i remove account-password package and run again

meteor deploy [myapp].meteor.com

it work well!!.

any idea why this happen?

I try with meteor 1.1 previously is working well for all step

Hi, can I know how you revert from 1.2 to 1.1? tq

I started a new app when 1.2-rc.12 was out because I was going for the React / ES2015 features, but I half wish I was on 1.1. The build times are crazy slowā€¦ 20-30 seconds for client file modifications, which is a killer for development speed. Issue is here: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/5269#issuecomment-144776937

Still on 1.1 for all my production apps because Iā€™ve read a lot of posts in the forum about things breaking. However I will be trying 1.2 for any new projects.

1 Like

@hellstad: Wise decision. Just dared to do an update to 1.2.0.2, and now not only my SASS files were broken, but also Mongol and Jetpack threw exceptions on startup. Itā€™s really sad and costs such a lot of time googling around for workarounds. :-/

To save you some Googling:

1. In /.meteor/.packages and /.meteor/.versions, replace fourseven:scss@3.3.3_1 with fourseven:scss@3.2.0

2. Use Constellation until Mongol/Jetsetter gets a bugfix release

@babrahams: Thanks for the info. Already did the scss downgrade to 3.2.0, but wasnā€™t aware of Constellation.

ok not sure what is up with the reply function on here, but re: rolling back - this worked for me:

meteor update --release 1.1.0.3

Whenever some package under Meteor 1.2 uses the less module without an explicit version number, it is resolved to the most recent version ā€“ 2.5.0.

All the while, Iā€™m maintaining two major projects which are stranded on Semantic UI 1.12.2, because Semantic UI 2.x introduced a wide selection of breaking changes that are incompatible with the theme Iā€™m using.

Alas, this semantic:ui version of yesterday requires less in version 1.x, which makes the entire update fail :umbrella: :cloud:

Like @danancona said. But if I remember right I had to remove some 1.2 specific packages and re-add some packages from 1.1.0.3. Unfortunately Iā€™m not sure which one.

The main problem was materialize:materialize. With updating to 1.2 I fetched 0.97.1 which is generally broken in Meteor (even in 1.1.0.3). I had to revert this package to 0.97.0 (I had to do it in the .meteor/packages file.)

1 Like

Iā€™m using 1.2 with a side project iā€™m doing with react.
But for my main app in production which is 100% blaze, i donā€™t really see the point in upgrading to 1.2 for now, with all the possible incompatibilities, and no real added value, at least for me.
I will probably upgrade when some time has passed and all rough edges have been resolved by other than me :wink:

The real incentive to upgrade for me will be ES6 modules, which is really life changing (thank you, meteor-webpack-react !)

1 Like

thanks @danancona and @crenshininbon

1 Like

I need to keep on with a ā€œworking productā€ without breaking changes. Once all package dependencies will be explicitly upgraded to 1.2 iā€™ll proceed.

Thatā€™s right, things like Windows support, Angular and React can help to attract developers who are new to Meteor, or developers who use those platforms somewhere else and want to use them with Meteor. But those things do not help developers who are already using Meteor with Blaze, etc.

1 Like

It would be nice if the Atmosphere entry for a package would have a field showing which Meteor release the package has been tested with. At the moment it is kind of hard to tell.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is 1.2 related but: I finally did upgrade to 1.2 after figuring out the problem was with the materialize package and that rolling just that back worked. But now Iā€™m having awful slowness with meteor deploy, itā€™s taking ten plus minutes in the ā€œuploadingā€ phase. And Iā€™m on day 3 of getting spiderable to emit opengraph tags; thatā€™s been a nasty surprise for something that I thought (based on experience with other frameworks) would maybe take 20 minutes. Pretty frustrating all around.

if you are using source code control, rollback is no problem