Where is the meteor love?

Solid point! I made this point in a post a while ago: that MDG was repositioning in the hope of getting acquired by Facebook, hence the official support of React, even when it seems obvious of Vue superiority.

1 Like

Your hunch seems correct. After I externalized the <script> part of my Vue component to a separate .coffee file I can now not correctly set the breakpoints inside of it in Chrome Dev Tools.

Do you stick to manual debugger statements anyway to be able to put the breakpoints at the correct level of nesting and hence block scoping in the CoffeeScript code which is not possible by just choosing a line number in an IDE for those single CoffeeScript lines that exit multiple block scopes through multiple outdents?

I donā€™t have a one-size-fits-all solution. If I have the code open in my editor, Iā€™ll add a debugger statement. If in DevTools, Iā€™ll set a breakpoint (if it lets me). I do whateverā€™s most convenient in the moment.

Are you going to patch vue-coffee?

Got it! Thanks!

Sorry but I am still waaaaayyyyy too closer to zero than to hero to try to fix any part of the quite overwhelming (to me) tech stack that I am currently still merely evaluating the viability/practicalilty:

• Meteor + Astronomy + Vue-Meteor + Vue + Vue-Router + Vuex + Vue-SSR + Quasar + CoffeeScript + Pug + Stylus,
  • recent ES6 and CSS stuff to understand the docs and examples,
  • VSCode + Chrome Dev Tools to understand how to debug this whole enchilada,
  • Visual Studio Team Service + Git + Github to control versions and collaborate,
  • and I havenā€™t yet looked at the all important testing stuff (Mocha, Chai, Sinon, Chimp and God knows what else I will need to learn when I dive into it)
  • nor at cloud deployment (Galaxy? Node Chef?)
  • nor at mobile (Cordova) and desktop deployment (Electron)

:exploding_head:

Thereā€™s a hell of a lot of transpilation going on there!

4 Likes

Meteor is a very inclusive community :wink:

4 Likes

So now that Meteor is in some new leadership hands, we can probably start to spread the love again! Iā€™ve been using @akryumā€™s packages :package: for Meteor + Vue and it is an amazing combination. Please sponsor @akryum on Github if you use these packages and love them as much as I do. Letā€™s bring the Meteor & Vue communities together.

8 Likes

I created skeleton files awhile back but donā€™t have time to contribute right now. Hereā€™s a link if anyone wants to open an issue and add them to the latest Meteor version for a PR.

Thank you

Hi @johncochran92 and @mullojo , Since I wrote made those posts, Iā€™ve come to understand Vue has itā€™s own way to doing reactivity which isnā€™t really compatible with Meteor. Itā€™s like saying, ā€œwhy canā€™t I drop a Tesla electric car engine into my Ford Mustang?ā€ If Vue was a drop-in replacement for Handlebars, then we wouldnā€™t be having this conversation. Some have tried to get them working together, but itā€™s an ugly kludge of workarounds. I believe some of the issues are touched on here:

We were early adopters of Meteor (we were running our business on Meteor v0.6) back when you could host for free. But starting a couple years ago, we switched away from Meteor, in part because we wanted to work with Vue and GraphQL.

There are lots of choices when it comes to your stack these days. Meteor was great choice for us at that moment in time. It was cool, experimental, and ground-breaking. But the landscape has changed: we have Vue, GraphQL, and Gridsome. We have JAMstack architectures, sites pre-rendered during build and hosted on Netlify, we have tools like Prisma, and backends like Hasura and Faunadb.

Meteor is was it is. Sometimes you just canā€™t get your old girlfriend to change; and you have to move on and find someone else. :wink:

You can use Vue and Meteor as a backend, that tighter integration is for reactivity I believe. You can also use GraphQL with Meteor build system, many projects does. And finally you can run a JAMStack with Meteor API. Prisma looks interesting though.

1 Like

@maxhodges Iā€™m curious, are you building a consumer or enterprise applications? and how many developers in your team?

I did a quick breakdown of the tech you mentioned for reference, thanks.

Client:

• Vue: clients rendering engine
  • Gridsome: static site generates, (GatsbyJS for Vue), useful for blogs CMS
  • JAMstack: Architecture style where youā€™ve SPA clients hosted on a CDN connecting to a backend
  • Netlify: static hosting platform

Data Protocol:

• GraphQL: Data query language protocol, independent of the tech stack

Backends:

• Prisma: SQL ORM, generate API and CRUD from SQL databases (ORM)
  • Hasura: Create GraphQL API from Postgres DB (GraphQL ORM from Postgres database)
  • FaunaDB: Database as a backend (kind similar to Firebase with GraphQL API)

I everyone! I just wanted to express my personal joy in using Vue with Meteor since Dec. 2018. At that time, I decided to start building a new app with Meteor + Vue and Iā€™ll be honest that I had some concerns due to FUD & scepticism out there, but Iā€™m happy to report is was just FUD . At that time my experience with Meteor was building 1 Meteor (Blaze) app and I had enjoyed that combination (3 yrs ago). Vue alone is now hugely popular as a front-end framework in combination with many types of backends, but Vue devs have to eventually find a great backend to complete a full-stack. I also had no interest in any other database than MongoDB (Iā€™ve used over 10 top databases as a Data Scientist & Dev). Obviously you need Node.js in a JS stack, but I could have built my own stack with websockets and lots of other re-coding of what already exists, or I could just use Meteor which comes with Node.js & MongoDB, and a secure accounts package.

So now about 1.5 years later, Iā€™m very pleased with my choice. There were two very important packages authored by @akryum that made a full integration between Vue + Meteor a breeze 1) vue-component (on atmosphere to use Vue files natively) and 2) meteor-vue-tracker (on npm to have 100% reactivity with Meteor, for pub/sub heaven). I give $10 a month to @akryum via his Github sponsorship which gets you an invite to his private Discord Server. So big Thanks :pray: to @akryum :tada: These packages are featured in the Meteor + Vue guide and a new Meteor + Vue tutorial that is now up thanks to @brianmulhall. There are not many Vue + Meteor ā€œevangelistsā€ out there YET, so I guess Iā€™m feeling that I should be one. To Vue users who have never tried Meteor as a backend, I say it is like Vue for the backend. For past Meteor users, I feel it completes the dream goals of what Meteor was wanting to achieve for simplicity, speed, & reactivity in new full-stack multi-user app development.

Also, I want to say thank you to @filipenevola because he has been easy to collaborate with in the Meteor Community and he has been super supportive of publicly supporting Vue + Meteor.

Iā€™m willing to help people get started with & try this stack if you want to say hi on the new Meteor Slack Community. Iā€™m on a new Meteor Community Discord too if you prefer that.

Here are a couple reminders:

• Meteor is better than is has ever been with the 1.10 release (latest Node.js & MongoDB & Cordova)
  • MongoDB has improved a lot in the last 3 years, very powerful queries are possible today (& free starter Atlas hosting)
  • Vue brings joy developing the front-end, itā€™s simplicity + power speaks for itself
  • Galaxy is also a joy, and you get 1 month free now to try it out, and can host an app for $7 a month, this is a big improvement over the previous pricing for smaller apps (Galaxy has a big list of upgrades coming)
  • For new apps, we are going to add new Vue skeletons (like React has) to make it even easier to get started. Thanks @korg0001 for the pointer if you started this already.

We all are building different apps where today there is no one size fits all, but Iā€™m hoping that more people realize the great combo with Vue + Meteor!

Just as a side note, since this came up in a couple responses, I think not everyone knows that Meteor has a new private corporate sponsor as of around fall 2019, Tiny Capital. Here is a post that kind of explains why Meteorā€™s MDG had to pivot to Apollo to create a different solutions for its investors, not beause Meteor itself was not a great idea. Twitter post by Tiny Capitalā€™s Managing Partner Andrew Wilkinson. @johncochran92 there is no longer the MDG as a corporate entity, their $53 mil in VC funding was a pressure that got relieved with Tinyā€™s aquisition. So now there is support for integrations with all the best modern front-ends. Iā€™m just trying to clear up OLD FUD. Happy developing everyone! :raised_hands::grinning:

Lastly a big thanks to @evanyou for creating Vue in the 1st place, working at the old Meteor (MDG) in the past to probably learn more of what not to do, and then creating something that is perhaps the best example of what open-source communities are capable of, much love man! :rocket:

17 Likes

Many thanks for the update on Tiny Capital. I had no idea although I am a Meteor devloper and read the meteor forum evey once in awhile.

2 Likes